Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Starting in the snow  (Read 5919 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Starting in the snow
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 05:43:36 pm »

Ah, thanks.

Guess I should have expected temperature to affect the water, and thus my little guys :).

I have not seen lag yet, but it is still very early (I am running a new i7 processor, so hopefully it will be enough).
Enough? I think a supercomputer would run slow at some points when running DF. (The circus, say. Or a large glacial/ocean embark thawing. Or both. Yikes.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 07:25:53 pm »

If I ever find an embark with a real river (like 8 tiles) where water freezes in winter I'm going to make  my fort entrance in the ice. Then I will run a magma river underneath the frozen river to make it always water.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 08:46:05 pm »

I don't like setting in 100% "cold" embarks, but will gladly settle in a half-n-half where part is temperate and the other biome is "cold".  Warm climates are a bit boring to me, I like seeing the passage of seasons.

If you have lots of small pools that freeze / thaw over the year, I suggest marking them as "d-o-r" to get dwarves to walk around them instead of walking over them even when frozen.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 09:56:58 pm »

Or you could mine the ice in the winter.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

aaOzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 05:25:00 am »

Many good ideas here. This also made me wall up the opening I made into a big frozen water deposit before it melted and flooded my tiny fort...

Still pretty new, so I gotta try and figure out how to mine ice, and collect and store water :).

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 09:08:18 am »

mining ice will remove the water.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 12:22:25 pm »

When the water unfreezes you can basically drain it into a chamber further underground and either let your dwarves drink directly from that as an underground lake or pipe that into a well.

As for the initial question, its not too bad to start in a snowy zone, in fact as another said I actually like it when seasons pass, if you get immersed into the game as I do its nice to hunker down when a blizzard comes in your shelter (and seeing everything up top being buried by snow).  The only notable danger is (as has been said) being on top of a river/lake when it unfreezes (I lost two wagons that way), the first thing to do is go down one Z-Level and check to see where the water is so you don't build on it and if you are parked on it unload your stuff.

That all said it's not really that much harder, just makes your water collection a bit trickier (you want to collect it when you can cause when you need it it might be frozen) and there is a slight danger of drowning.

Back in the pre-cavern version perminantely frozen spots used to be very hard because collecting water (which was, for a few releases, necessary to farm underground) was difficult (glacier) to impossible (tundra).  These days you only need water as a backup in case you run out of booze or if somebody gets hurt/sick, and if you really need it odds are you can find it underground.

-MB

aaOzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 03:26:44 am »

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 03:45:37 am »

Snow can make it difficult to see where biomes start/end (I like to build my fortress at the intersection of several biomes, to get more stone variety).

I also makes it harder to see where the frozen ponds are. That can be quite dangerous, because occasionally a dwarf will be walking of the ice, it melts, and the dwarf drowns. So I always restrict traffic near ponds, and with the snow, ponds cannot be seen directly (need to go 1 z level below surface to see the ice).

Other than that, snow is no problem. I find it quite pretty when snow starts to fall after the warm season.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 05:07:59 am »

I realised with some horror that my embark froze over for about a week in winter, it was by a lake but thankfully the lake stays as water, however I VERY quickly restricted the traffic over and around the many pools I had, and no accidents yet... having said that, they're bound to happen now.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 07:06:53 am »

I really like to embark in the snow. All the snow gives a pleasant sight for the eyes.

However, I absolutely despise maps that eventually thaw. First of, the green looks dull. Secondly, there is always a laggy pause when stuff is thawing and freezing. This annoys me to no end.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 08:10:18 am »

I really like to embark in the snow. All the snow gives a pleasant sight for the eyes.

However, I absolutely despise maps that eventually thaw. First of, the green looks dull. Secondly, there is always a laggy pause when stuff is thawing and freezing. This annoys me to no end.

Yes, I would prefer to see a more gradual thaw/freeze cycle, spreading it out over a few hundred frames would smooth out that transition a lot.  It might kill frame rates a bit during the transition, but it might also look really pretty (ice choked river).
Pages: 1 [2]