Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [176.38b] Soldiers retain all legendary artifacts.  (Read 776 times)

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[176.38b] Soldiers retain all legendary artifacts.
« on: February 25, 2008, 04:09:00 am »

I'm a little sad to be reporting this, but a bug is a bug. (I originally posted about this here, in the dwarf mode discussion forum, but decided it should be properly reported.)

It seems that soldiers will now happily equip legendary artifact weapons and armor when told to fetch equipment. However, they do not willingly let go again when told to do so, and they can pick up many artifact weapons at once, without dropping the ones they previously held.

I have a soldier holding six legendary adamantine artifact weapons, and he will not let go of any. He will not remove his artifact armor either, but at least there's only one set of that, so it seems more physically possible for him to be keeping it.

I'm not saying this is a particularly bad thing; I'm just making sure it's known. It seems like a bug, even though it would probably make for an interesting feature in itself.

[Edit] I expect this will be worked on anyway when the artifact arc gets done. It doesn't seem to be a big problem, and I personally think it adds some extra fun, so I don't think there should be any hurry to change it just yet.

[ February 25, 2008: Message edited by: Tayrin ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: [176.38b] Soldiers retain all legendary artifacts.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:15:00 am »

Cursed weapons?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Cursed weapons?</STRONG>

Yeah, pretty much. Good thing these ones are light, though.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »

this isn't new, I had that in 33g.  I accidentally set a champion legendary swordsman to pick up a crossbow, and he grabbed a legendary one.

When I tried to get him back to his sword (I really only wanted to get him to drop a well crafted and pick up an exceptional, so I changed weapons) he would grab the sword I wanted him to have, then drop it and go back to the cross bow.

Rather than complain I just trained him up to legendary on crossbow.  The downside is that he is a dabbling hammerdwarf now, and always will be unless I stop making bolts or he runs out frequently.

igless

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

Does forbidding the unwanted items make any difference?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 01:18:00 pm »

I didn't at the time; I will have to try it so I can get that guy's hammering skill up!
igless

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Does forbidding the unwanted items make any difference?</STRONG>

No, it doesn't seem to. I can't designate legendary artifacts for dumping, either. I'm not complaining though; at least they're being put to use.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 03:10:00 pm »

I suspect this is a hold-over from the previous version, which I think had this as a feature so that dwarves who made artifacts and carried them around for years couldn't be forcibly relieved of them by conscripting them and making them pick up other weapons. It wasn't a problem before, because dwarves rarely ever picked up artifacts in the first place, but now that they can, being unable to put them down again is more of a big deal.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

Okay, I'll take a look at these behaviors at some point.  I just gutted the artifact code, so they'll be a little different now, but there still seem to be problems.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!