Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another newb question from yours truly:  (Read 1936 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yet another newb question from yours truly:
« on: April 07, 2011, 01:07:23 am »

In the Lazy Newb Pack, it says I can turn off invaders. If I choose to do this, can I turn it back on after I get established, or is it permanent for that save?

Sorry about all the question spamming recently. Last one for a while though, promise.

Koollan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Plunge thy sword into thine Water Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another newb question from yours truly:
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 01:11:07 am »

I believe that you can turn invasions back on. This may not be a guarantee, but my basic instinct of the Lazy Newb pack indicates that you can turn it back on due to the raw being in touch with the specific world gen.
Never again may my Water Dragon get loose.
For it is now within a wooden cage.
Those bars may never be penetrated.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 02:07:39 am »

Invaders are turned off and on in the d_init.txt file, which is read each time the game is run. This means that you can turn off and on invaders at will, and that such a setting applies regardless of which fort you load up once you start the game. The same file also controls temperature, weather, caveins, and population caps, among other settings.

That said, this is for the default game settings - I can't say for sure whether or not it's the same for the Lazy Newb Pack. I would assume so, given that it would probably take major editing of the .exe file to change how Invaders were turned on and off.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:25:02 am »

Thanks for the help guys.

I wouldn't normally be doing this, but I just lost an entire fortress, and it wasn't because of Fun. We had a power brownout for the first time in 7 years here, and for some reason, I wasn't set for seasonal saving. I had an AWESOME fortress, and I was kind of disappointed it died in such a shameful way. I just want to get a fort back into it's 2-ish year phase, then take my beatings.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 03:38:41 am »

Tsh you have to get used to the brutal combat in ndwarf fortress, don't turn invaders off. >.>

Fighting in dwarf fortress is one of the things that give it a truly epic feeling for me, the struggle for survival. Recently I decided to invade the caverns with my 7 starting dwarves, miners armed with picks and the woodcutter with his axe, no armor and the rest unarmed . I slaughtered 3 bat man tribes and got one casualty. Screens upon screens of combat reports of dwarves ripping off the wings of batmen with their bare hands. This gave my fortress a very deep history that will likely be part of engraving to come!
Now to make the basis of my crundle pet industry. Here little crundle.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:48:48 am »

Tsh you have to get used to the brutal combat in ndwarf fortress, don't turn invaders off. >.>

Fighting in dwarf fortress is one of the things that give it a truly epic feeling for me, the struggle for survival. Recently I decided to invade the caverns with my 7 starting dwarves, miners armed with picks and the woodcutter with his axe, no armor and the rest unarmed . I slaughtered 3 bat man tribes and got one casualty. Screens upon screens of combat reports of dwarves ripping off the wings of batmen with their bare hands. This gave my fortress a very deep history that will likely be part of engraving to come!
Now to make the basis of my crundle pet industry. Here little crundle.
What graphics mod are you using in the fort in the signature?

It's amazing.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 04:42:41 am »

That would be ironhand's graphics pack.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53180.0