Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tunneling near magma  (Read 1218 times)

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tunneling near magma
« on: April 06, 2011, 04:01:47 pm »

Is there a way to override the constant work stoppages near warm stone?  If I've breached the magma sea and verified that a path looks safe, is there some different dig order I can give to just tell them DIG, dwarves!?
Randy...

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
Re: Tunneling near magma
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:08:32 pm »

I believe there might be something in the files that can help you, but apart from that I don't know.

But I do agree. If there's one thing Dwarf Fortress needs, it's a 'No seriously, do it anyway' button
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:11:55 pm »

I believe there might be something in the files that can help you, but apart from that I don't know.

But I do agree. If there's one thing Dwarf Fortress needs, it's a 'No seriously, do it anyway' button
lol.
The dwarves will do other things that are stupid.
*digs under a river* WET STONE FOUND!
*digging a magma chamber* WARM STONE FOUND!
*releases various creatures randomly* ...

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:14:19 pm »

1. Go to data/init/announcements.txt.
2. Find DIG_CANCEL_WARM record
3. Remove 'P' (pause option) from the condition: [DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:P:R] -> [DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:R]
4. ...
5. Profit!

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:31:32 pm »

I don't know about warm stone, but I know that now Dwarves will tunnel through wet stone if you redesignate it to be dug out.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:34:47 pm »

1. Go to data/init/announcements.txt.
2. Find DIG_CANCEL_WARM record
3. Remove 'P' (pause option) from the condition: [DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:P:R] -> [DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:R]
4. ...
5. Profit!

This will prevent the constant pausing, but the mining designation will still be canceled. The only way to prevent this from occurring is to completely reveal the area to be dug before setting down the designation.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 04:42:45 pm »

I haven't had a problem digging into the side of a magma pipe, even in the latest version. I'm certain the magma has to be revealed before you can dig into it, regardless if it "looks safe". Try going up a few Z-levels to see if you can reveal it.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 07:09:26 pm »

Cave-in destroying wall?

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:58:19 am »

Digging is only cancelled if the stone isn't revealed and it then is discovered to be warm, regardless of whether you know it will be warm or not.  So if you're digging a large room 1 level above the magma sea, it will be quicker to mark the z-level above that one with channeling designations and create a 2z high room - it doesn't check the temperature of the tile below a channel designation, only the one it is actually marked on.  The same trick can be done with ramps if you're tunneling under water.  If you're short of space or you just can't stand 2z high rooms then you can construct the floor back again with the loose stone, and use it for storage or something.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.