Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: finding good site almost impossible(bugs)  (Read 977 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
finding good site almost impossible(bugs)
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:57:36 am »

A dozen of worlds, a hundred of tried sites. I didnt keep data for statistics, but i dare say that 80%+ of them were bugged.
It is already difficult to find a worthy site, but when I actually find one, the game either crashes on embark, or there are infinity(65535? dunno) z levels above ground, or there is 100 z levels of hell that all look completely the same, or there is a magma lake on the surface meeting river, bombarding grass-filled caverns through some bugged undefined rock.
Does everyone have the same experience? Am I doing something wrong? The only things I changed in worldgen were cavern openess(0,0), passage density(0,0) and cavern layers(1).
also any advice on how to pick a site with few z levels would be welcome
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:02:15 am by ancistrus »

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: finding good site almost impossible(bugs)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:11:20 am »

Redownload DF, use the advanced generator to gen small worlds with few z-levels in between cavern layers.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:13:15 am »

Learn how to tweak worldgen according to your needs.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Advanced_world_generation

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 05:17:08 am »

Redownload DF, use the advanced generator to gen small worlds with few z-levels in between cavern layers.
Few z levels between layers is obvious, but why small worlds?

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 05:23:56 am »

They gen fast (less then a minute, maybe even half a minute edit, less then five seconds) and the sitefinder takes less time to review your specifications. Larger worlds mean much more calculations due to larger populations, more civs, etc. If your world has no good sites you just make a new one in no-time at all and try again. I've also had better luck finding sites I like on small worls simply because the choice is limited (and because I recently became less picky in order to increase Fun).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:26:55 am by Sandrew »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:41:22 am »

Learn advanced worldgen (copy one of the standard ones and start playing around). I have worlds with only ~20-24 levels from ground to hell.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 07:09:02 am »

Learn advanced worldgen (copy one of the standard ones and start playing around). I have worlds with only ~20-24 levels from ground to hell.

I understand the advanced worldgen fairly well.
Perhaps you could share the parameters and seeds.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 08:28:12 am »

Here's one that I'm happy with at the moment.  This is a small 65x65 world, 250 years, with 600 for scarcity (MINERAL_SCARCITY).  The caverns are designed to be a bit more open then default as I find the "maze of twisty passages, all alike" to be annoying.  Ground level in my current 3x3 embark is at Z145 and I had to go down to Z110 to find magma.

Note: Main reason that I'm happy with this world is because the elves are at war with dwarves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)