Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What next?  (Read 589 times)

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
What next?
« on: April 07, 2011, 06:56:28 am »

Hey guys

I've been playing DF quite a bit recently, and I only really just got over the really horrible learning mountain (the one where you're just trying to work out how to really do... things)
But after that I managed to get a bedroom area up, a good few workshops, a dining room and a farm (that was fun setting that up :P)
Eventually I just got kind of bored and felt that it wasn't right, and pulled the lever and watched them all drown. I know.

So I'm just wondering, what's next?
I know I have to get a trade depot set up, and expand everything for when migrants arrive, but that's about it :P
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What next?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 07:10:48 am »

I know what you mean. I usually embark in ridiculously inhospitable settings and with ridiculous embark loadouts. As soon as everyone is not in danger of starving or dehydration, it becomes a bit boring.

As soon as the magma pump stack has brought the magma up a few dozen levels to the "real" magma forge and glass furnace locations, I don't know what else I could do.

I guess that this is what goblins, titans and forgotten beasts and hell are for. However... they arrive much too early for my taste. And I don't consider them to be fun at all.

Or you could start to build a megaproject and work on decorating every living room with rose gold or something.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 07:11:31 am »

Usually the next step is magma forges => weapons and armour, or start building something outdoors, that's always fun. You need to produce something to sell to the traders at the Depot as well, cloth items are worth a lot and use only farm production to create, also stonecrafts have almost limitless supply of raw crappy stone. I make some of both.

Animal breeding (selecting for high fat/muscle/size) is also a distraction, so a big animal collection could be fun (rip off the elves a lot and they bring more animals to trade, because they have low value to weight ratio)

I also had a lot of fun designing mechanical systems, eg complex automated traps are a delight when they work.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:15:36 am by Reelyanoob »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:23:37 am »

This is when you set yourself a goal and work towards it. Here's some ideas from the Wiki.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 07:24:30 am »

Cool, I'll work on that when I have some free-er time.

I had a lot of fun linking up my first floodgate, I don't know why :P

In class today, I was doodling the plan for a massive bunker-like fortress
aka, massive stairwells, airlocks (bridges and locked doors and the such) on everything, and having one main control room with someone in solitary confinement, controlling everything :D

Also, planned on a early warning system.
It involves kittens and pointy things.

basically it's having pressure plates around the entrance, if one is triggered, it causes a kitten to be dropped into a spiky pit, and a message saying 'mccute kitten has been struck down!'
If that doesn't work, then I don't know what will :P
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 07:56:32 am »

basically it's having pressure plates around the entrance, if one is triggered, it causes a kitten to be dropped into a spiky pit, and a message saying 'mccute kitten has been struck down!'
If that doesn't work, then I don't know what will :P
Weak point: you may not notice that message when it comes up! Maybe change announcements.txt to make sure you get the message when it's triggered.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.