Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guy who has only heard about DnD wants to play it,that`s me.  (Read 1026 times)

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
Guy who has only heard about DnD wants to play it,that`s me.
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:42:56 pm »

So,i have read a few DnD-based webcomics (goblins,order of the stick)
and they were interesting enough to make me interested in DnD.
So,if someone can suggest me a game for a newbie to join(might be a forum one,or even in iscribble)or create one into this topic,it would be fun.
What do you think?

I am a Goober.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: Guy who has only heard about DnD wants to play it,that`s me.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:35:04 pm »

I, too, have been interested in DnD. I have skimmed the Player's Handbook and have experience with other RPGs. So, yeah, is anyone interested in hosting one?
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:59:26 pm »

are you intrested in being a DM?
if not,then anyone else?
somebody has to explain me how the whole thing works....coz the library i visited didnt have the PHB,
nor did i find any good tutorials.
I am a Goober.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 04:06:05 pm »

Huuuuu..... Teaching people to play when they do not have the rule book....

Okay, you should start at the SRD, which should have all you need to make a basic pc. Mythweavers has some good sheets.

Basically then you will need someone with patience to hold your hand though the stuff you do not understand until you get the basic rules and the hang of the SRD.

As for the most important part, the game, this forum is lousy with them. Search around a bit deeper in the Forum Games and Role-playing section, I believe there are three games up right now, at least two of which are recruiting

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:14:01 pm »

Also depends on what version of Dnd that you play, 3.5 and 4 editions are the most popular currently. They both have merits but if you liked Goblins and OOTS you would probably prefer 3.5 over 4e. Also if you find that you like whatever you find in the Srd I strongly recomend getting the first phb at least

oh you will probably want someone to help you through your first character creation as well(isn't covered in the Srd). If you have any friends that play DnD that would help you out alot.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:17:32 pm by mission0 »
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 08:40:10 pm »

Character creation and how to play is relatively easy, especially with 4e.

The specifics of how to get a game is the tricky part. As mentioned, there's plenty of online ones running right here, but normally finding a long-lived, quality game that fits your schedule is a nightmare.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.