Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human siege  (Read 2353 times)

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
Human siege
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:02:39 am »

If, hypothetically, I had access to a bronze colossus in a cage, and I released said colossus into the wildnerness outside my fortress, would said colossus begin to terrorize the human encampment at the edge of the map? Operation: Magma surprise, while funny, was rather ineffective in dealing with them, and this is my next idea. Thoughts?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human siege
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 09:07:38 am »

I believe it would, yes. And since AFAIK humans never use anything better than bronze, their weapons will be almost entirely ineffective and it will kill them all.

You'll then have an angry bronze colossus on your doorstep...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:09:26 am »

You'll then have an angry bronze colossus on your doorstep...

S'all good, brah. I got cage traps for days, it's how I caught him in the first place.

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:57:13 am »

Make a movie of it and post it. :D

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 01:46:17 pm »

Better to keep the BC in an arena inside your fort so that it cannot escape.

Then set up a huge array of cage traps and capture the entire siege. Pit them into the arena from above. Just a 1 Z level drop. Don't want to hurt them from the drop.

The BC in the arena is what does the hurting.

If they win, then they win. Capture goblins for the next combatants!

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 03:10:18 pm »

Better to keep the BC in an arena inside your fort so that it cannot escape. Then set up a huge array of cage traps and capture the entire siege. ...

The problem is that the humans are going anywhere, and if I get near them, peppering with bolts is unavoidable. Vurrent;y doing !!SCIENCE!! to see if a cyclopse and a BC will fight one another. If not, I'll release two Cyclopses and the BC against the siege. If so... oh well, one less Cyclopse.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 04:16:10 pm »

Sieges tend to hang out and blockade your fortress for a few months. Eventually they will all charge you all at the same time in a single massed assault rather than multiple groups coming at you one at a time. Just be patient. They will attack eventually, assuming there is a clear path into your fortress.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 08:02:13 pm »

Or, you can just build a sky-bridge out to where the human army is, put the BC's cage at the end of it, and link the cage and a support that holds the whole thing up to a single lever and simultaneously drop the BC and release it from its cage to have FUN in the siege camps of the enemy
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:23:25 pm »

!!SCIENCE!! update: Cyclopses and BCs won't attack one another. I released all three (2 Cy's and the BC) on the Siegers. For extra fun, I released magma on the melee. I have the video, I think. How do I load for you guys? In case I can't, or it didn't record, I'll decribe it.

One Cyclopse (we'll call him "Firstie") gets peppered with bolts immediately upon exiting the "danger tunnel." So does the BC, but...he's a BC. A battle ensues, during which I unleashed magma at a seemingly opportune time, and after which, all but about two siegers were dead, the BC is all in red as far as wounds go, and the other cyclopse was being slowly bludgeoned to death by a hammerman. Further belletins as events warrant.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 10:31:44 pm »

Yeah, cyclops are kind of mediocre. I let one out on my river fortress (a fortress that was dug into the walls of a river with catwalks leading to other parts) and it died almost immediately after killing a few dogs.

whitey321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 11:57:05 pm »

It kind of reminds me of that story of the guy who killed the BC by throwing a fluffy wambler.
Technically, it's not pacifism, it's militant uprising led by an overly-charismatic but useless dictator
Dwarf Fortress: Life Through Hitler's Eyes

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 12:02:22 am »

I had a siege and there were like TWO goblins spearmen or something (they were light brown / tan). Then a Bronze Collossus entered the map, so I raised the gates, thinking Collosus would mince the goblins. He was killed, and only took out one goblin (I cage traped the other). Did I get a really wimpy Collossus? Or really strong goblins?

Coudn't work out how to butcher him or anything after that.