Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyway to destroy floor and walls?  (Read 18827 times)

wagonman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyway to destroy floor and walls?
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:14:00 am »

Like, destroying your own made things. I can't seem to accomplish this....
....halp.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyway to destroy floor and walls?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 07:20:00 am »

Open up the [D]esignate menu and select "remove construction"  (it's 'n' I think).
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

wagonman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 07:57:00 am »

thanks!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 05:43:37 pm »

is there another way to destroy a wall (built or natural) besides digging??

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:57:55 pm »

Well, you could dig away everything supporting it and cave it in, but apart from that, you're going to have to deconstruct built ones or dig natural ones away. Deconstructing walls is, I think, a labourless task, so anyone will do it. Put a meeting hall next to the wall and get the kids and nobles to do it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:01:14 pm »

Natural and constructed walls are handled entirely differently.  Natural walls are places where no digging has occurred yet; to remove them, you dig through them -- you can either remove the entire chunk of soil/stone, or you can only remove parts of it, leaving behind a ramp or staircase.  Constructed walls are places where a dwarf has put stuff in formerly empty space; to remove those, you use the (d) (n) ("designate - remove construction") option.  You can't turn a constructed wall into some other constructed item by carving away bits of it, the way you can with natural stone/soil.  Instead, you have to remove the constructed wall entirely (leaving empty space plus a unit of raw material), and then fill that space with something else.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:32:09 pm »

Well, you could dig away everything supporting it and cave it in, but apart from that, you're going to have to deconstruct built ones or dig natural ones away. Deconstructing walls is, I think, a labourless task, so anyone will do it. Put a meeting hall next to the wall and get the kids and nobles to do it.
I was thinking in the lines of some beast attack, siege projectile, explosion, something that with a little setting up could be done automatically without sending a dwarf to do it....

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:53:51 pm »

I was thinking in the lines of some beast attack, siege projectile, explosion, something that with a little setting up could be done automatically without sending a dwarf to do it....

You can build cave-in trap so that it's hanging on single support. Suppors can be deconstructed by lever, so pulling a level linked so will activate the trap.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 04:25:24 pm »

[snip'd]

Some of the best FB/Titan traps work on this principle. A 3x3 constructed floor, built upon a standing support. Nasty building destroyer comes along, happily rips the support out, and is crushed underneath your lovely rubble.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 04:57:49 pm »

I remember reading that "dwarven land mines" that work on that principle no longer do, because building destroyers won't target supports anymore, so you have to tempt them with a pressure plate that kicks out the support when the BD stamps on it to destroy it.

But ultimately if you want a wall gone, you're going to have to make a dwarf go out and make it happen, whether it's doing it themselves or setting it up just right. They're immune to attack, they need to be dug out, deconstructed, or caved in, those are your three options. There's even a trick of using a wall behind a channel to collect rocks and ballista bolts, because the rock or bolt will hit the wall, and then, because it's falling a z-level, doesn't get destroyed. It could be a sand wall and ten years of siege operator training wouldn't dent it.