Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very bothersome movement bug  (Read 433 times)

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Very bothersome movement bug
« on: October 20, 2006, 03:51:00 pm »

In adventure mode, pressing shift and any direction will cause the game to continually attempt to move in that direction. A workaround I've found is to save, quit, and restart the game. However, this is difficult if the "stuck" button happens to be up, down, or any direction, as navigating menus becomes nearly impossible, especially the "Are you sure?" dialogs.
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Very bothersome movement bug
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 08:00:00 am »

I've been having troubles with this, too.

Usually, holding down the key for the direction you're auto-moving in helps.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 08:32:00 pm »

Actually I've just discovered an easy work-around -- simply changing windows and changing back will cancel it out and restore normal movement.
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 08:53:00 pm »

Want to know the reason for this?

Its the way the game, or whatever the game uses, for input works. Another way you can get this to happen is hold down a numpad direction key, and hit numlock. You'll keep moving.

I will keep from explaining some of the deeper workings of the keyboard, but simply, every time you press a key, the keyboard sends a "Make" code to the computer. When you release the key, it sends a "Break" code to the computer.

Why is this important? Well, I would hazard a guess that when you're holding down 'down' (2 on the numpad), the game registers that that key had been pressed down (from the Make code). When you release it, it notes that the Break code has been sent, and you stop moving. Numlock modifies what codes are sent from the keyboard (actually, i believe thats done in software, but thats not the point). So if you press numlock while holding down the key, it changes what release key is sent when you pick your finger up. The result being that game never realizes you released the key, and keeps moving.

Of course, it could be a different reason, and its just a coincidence that this explains it. But if I'm right, it wouldn't be very hard to fix.

[ October 21, 2006: Message edited by: Wahnsinniger ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 06:52:00 pm »

You can look at the Kobold Quest code if you want.  I think I already put in a state query to check for held keys after the fact, rather than relying on windows messages, but I don't know very much about technical issues.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 05:24:00 pm »

On the subject, sometimes when I'm trying to save a game it'll automatically take me out of the save dialog because it thinks I'm holding down a key.  I often have to press and release half the keys on my keyboard to reset it.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA