Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: the new cities  (Read 5748 times)

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the new cities
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2011, 10:27:57 pm »

Yeah, I reread the devlog and noticed that both were more likely.  Will still be awesome.  Now I must increase my demands, to include..umm...procedurally generated minas tirith and a carcassone minigame.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2011, 02:42:08 am »

The potential for havoc in the new cities inspired me to mod in a grossly overpowered 'adventurer' creature based on humans. It has adamantine skin, teeth, nails (and hair for no particular reason), slade bones, buns (muscles) and nerves of steel, iron lungs and stomach, a heart of gold and random metals/stones for all the other organs/tissues. Oh, and magma (molten basalt) for blood and pus.

Anyone know any specific metal/stone euphemisms for fat, cartilage, eyes, brain, liver, gut, pancreas, spleen, kidneys?

I also gave it natural legendary skill in all combat skills and maxed out all the applicable attributes. It's pretty much immune to all damage, except for dragonfire (i think it causes the heart/etc. to melt) which is moot if you have a shield.

So yeah, i'm all set to do a 1-man genocide on an entire city.  :D
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2011, 02:53:02 am »

Since people are sometimes accused of having lead in their ass, and the ass is mostly fat tissue as far as I'm aware, fat=lead.

I think it would be appropriate for the digestive organs, especially the lower ones, to contain soil.  An iron stomach and/or liver would fit as well.

Steely eyes.

I've got nothing for spleen, though I think it has something to do with blood, and hematite and hemoglobin share the root for a reason.  In that case molten iron might be more appropriate for blood.  Nearly the same temperature as molten basalt anyway.

Would a slade brain be immune to damage?  Could come in handy.

That's all I've got.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2011, 03:57:52 am »

1) Current towns are built near rivers
2) New towns will be hugenormous
3) Toady mentioned bridges in the devlog

Towns placed over rivers seems likely.

Nay, not just likely, but inevitable.  The [BIOME_SUPPORT] tags of the human civs have ANY_RIVER as the most common placement, seconded by ANY_GRASSLAND.

On hills:

1) Terrain varies
2) New towns are hugenormous, good chance of a hill happening to be within the city limits

Towns placed on hills seems likely.

Unfortunately, there is no tag for ANY_HILL.  There seems to be no way to determine that a city should be placed on a hill.  And most of the other tags are exclusively low drainage areas, meaning few hills.  Elves, on the other hand, are very likely to be on a hill, since forests are often very high drainage.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2011, 06:39:57 am »

Any word on when we'll be able to knock down constructed walls \ use mining picks for digging in Adventurer mode? Big cities like this just intensify my desire to be able to Kool-Aid Man into buildings when it suits me.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2011, 06:45:57 am »

Big cities like this just intensify my desire to be able to Kool-Aid Man into buildings when it suits me.

*Noble Digger bursts into a townhome*

"OOH YEAH!!!"

*Villagers draw swords and glare*

"... oh no...."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2011, 02:20:31 pm »

The potential for havoc in the new cities inspired me to mod in a grossly overpowered 'adventurer' creature based on humans. It has adamantine skin, teeth, nails (and hair for no particular reason), slade bones, buns (muscles) and nerves of steel, iron lungs and stomach, a heart of gold and random metals/stones for all the other organs/tissues. Oh, and magma (molten basalt) for blood and pus.

Anyone know any specific metal/stone euphemisms for fat, cartilage, eyes, brain, liver, gut, pancreas, spleen, kidneys?

I also gave it natural legendary skill in all combat skills and maxed out all the applicable attributes. It's pretty much immune to all damage, except for dragonfire (i think it causes the heart/etc. to melt) which is moot if you have a shield.

So yeah, i'm all set to do a 1-man genocide on an entire city.  :D

What adventurer body fat is made of?  What are you talking about?  If hundreds of fantasy novel covers have taught me anything (except that all women are well-endowed and must breathe through their skin, so covering it with any more clothing than legally required will kill them,) it's that adventurers have no body fat!  Just remove it from them entirely.

Thinking about that, however... You will need to create extra body parts to attach to the chest - "Pecs" for men, which are filled with more muscles and "manliness", and "Bosoms" for women, which are filled with "womanliness" (and more muscles, depending on the artist).

Anyway, any good adventurer has a razor sharp mind, and as we all know, the sharpest material is Obsidian!

Clearly, good adventurers are Steely-Eyed, have an Iron Liver, and Intestinal Fortitude of Steel.  Nobody talks about a heroic pancreas or kidneys or spleen, so obviously, they just don't have those organs. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2011, 04:53:00 pm »

Bosoms should generate an anti-attack field if they are visible to the naked eye.  Fantasy art of chainmail bikinis has taught me so.

Seriously.

It's an optional rule in GURPS.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2011, 05:11:53 pm »

Bosoms should generate an anti-attack field if they are visible to the naked eye.  Fantasy art of chainmail bikinis has taught me so.

Seriously.

It's an optional rule in GURPS.

Very optional, recommended for goofy games, of course. Nothing personal, I'm just defending my favorute system from any misunderstandings. :)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2011, 05:54:33 pm »

Yeah I think whichever employee of SJ Games wrote that ended up working on Munchkin, instead ;)

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2011, 06:14:25 pm »

Yeah I think whichever employee of SJ Games wrote that ended up working on Munchkin, instead ;)

Which has chainmail bikinis among the standard magical gear. ;D

IIRC, if you roll bad on dice the metal scraches a sensitive place and you'll lose some hitpoints...

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2011, 06:45:07 pm »

Seriously tho, if you're making the "Metal Adventurer" there, bosoms need defensive value, just for this very reason.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2011, 07:47:08 pm »

I can't wait to build a fort under a city...

7 Dwarves wander into town, and rent a building with a storefront and living space upstairs...

A few months later, they have sold enough stonecrafts to buy the house, and a few neighboring ones.

A few months after that, some more dwarves arrive and move in.

Then the dwarves start selling metalcrafts, and more dwarves arrive.

A few people start to notice that while they are selling a lot of goods, for some reason no raw materials seem to enter the new dwarven commerce district. More dwarves arrive.

Jewel encrusted fungiwood goods, silk clothing, and medium quality weapons and armor are exported by the dwarves, the other trade guilds start trying to send spies to find out where the raw materials ar coming from, resentment is raising among the other races in the city. More dwarves arrive.

The dwarves eventually own a large fraction of the city, enclaved off from the rest by a high stone wall; with steel clad mercenary humans guarding the outer walls, and dwarves in bluemetal guarding the inside. The king of the dwarves and his entourage arrives.

Then the Circus comes to town.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2011, 07:54:21 pm »

^ Was planning something along the same lines, except not as peaceful :P

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2011, 11:36:40 pm »

That has to be one of the best descriptions of the average city-fort run.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]