Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: training outside  (Read 458 times)

pvtpob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
training outside
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:02:14 pm »

Ive heard a few different places that its better for your barracks to be outside because your military will get better at fighting outside. What exactly are the effects of this? is it worth it?
The Stray Yak Bull grabs the Stray Horse Foal by the nose with his left rear leg!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: training outside
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 08:19:59 pm »

Being outside prevents/cures "Cave Adaptation", these means your army won't be disabled by Corporal Forbus (aka Vomiting, & yes, I know that's not the main symptom of cholera) whenever they go "topside".

Note, they may not actually need to "Outside", I think the requirement is actually "Above ground", which means you can roof it over, but I could be wrong.

pvtpob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:30:56 pm »

ok question 2, how do you make roofs?
The Stray Yak Bull grabs the Stray Horse Foal by the nose with his left rear leg!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:42:55 pm »

Bridge, or constructed floor.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:50:42 pm »

you build it like you build a floor, exepct in the air , i personnaly make them train in a little watchtower at the entrance of the fort

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:35:41 pm »

Since bridges can be destroyed by flying Building Destroyer FBs, I recommend building floors above the area being roofed.

Many people use exterior scaffolding structures, I prefer to just replace one of the outer wall tiles with stairs or a ramp, build the flooring, then replace the stairs/ramp with a wall.