Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Precocious dwarven babies  (Read 440 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Precocious dwarven babies
« on: November 21, 2007, 05:03:00 pm »

A couple seconds after the duchess had a baby, I went to examine it.

I'll paste from what I said on IRC:
<SL> the baby's name is Tobul Kolalath, the duchess is Sazkul Bomrekvudthar, the Duke consort is Ilral Lekkivish
<SL> The baby is self-conscious, somewhat reserved, often cheerful, appreciates art and natural beauty, is guarded in relationships with others, needs alcohol to get through the working day, and does not mind being outdoors, at least for a time.
<SL> The baby also likes gabbro, bronze, sard (SIC), blue shark leather, the color cardinal, amulets, and plump helmets for their rounded tops.
<SL> Clearly dwarven babies are ridiculously precocious.
<SL> Since it's, oh, about 1 day old, if that.

[ November 21, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Precocious dwarven babies
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

So the bug is that babies are treated like immigrants: pre-set likes and dislikes and personality?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Morkilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »

Give that baby a beer!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 10:06:00 am »

Yep.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 10:25:00 am »

I'm pretty sure this is on the to-do list, but it's pretty complicated work for little benefit.  Also, "sard" isn't a typo, it's a gemstone.  Some sort of reddish chalcedony.

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Abyssal Squid ]

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 11:31:00 am »

Bloat for later maybe: Babies and children have their likes and dislikes revealed slowly as they mature, simulating their personalities developing. AND: later, have the personalities actually develop based on events. For example, if your fortress's only food is plump helmets, children could easily get bored with it and come to loathe it.

"Urist Junior, eat your plump helmet!" "NO! I hate it!" "You used to love this stuff when you were a baby!" "NO! It's uckier than a kobold!"

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 06:34:00 pm »

In the future, it would also be nice if babies and children liked toys.  They might grow out of it when they get older, but what kid doesn't want a granite mini forge?