Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: river drainage (the dwarven way)  (Read 351 times)

blainemono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
river drainage (the dwarven way)
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:10:40 am »

I've decided to build a small fort in the middle of a big river. Since the river is on the ege of the map, I couldn't dam it, so I've decided to drain a small area of the river bed to build a fort foundation on.

I built a pumping scaffolding like this:

Code: [Select]

/\
      |
  ###@@@##
  #  @@@ #          # - wall
  @@.... #          @@ - pumps
<-@@.  .@@          . - pump intake square
  @@.  .@@->
  # ....@@ 
  # @@@ #
  ##@@@##
     |
     \/

(not up to scale, I've decided that making it 4 times bigger is a dwarfly thing to do).

It works almost as planned with a small hitch that it doesnt work at all - water level inside the pumped-out square never falls below 7/7. Well, sometimes it goes to 2-3, but fills up to 7 almost instantly.

What's the problem with my design and how do I fix it?

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
Re: river drainage (the dwarven way)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 07:32:35 am »

I've built a staircase straight down into an underground lake by using a similar technique. In my case I wanted a 1x1 staircase, surrounded by walls to keep out the water:

Code: [Select]
WXW

All I had to do is make sure there is at least one pump drawing water from each of the squares that need a wall on them. Then I built the staircase down, and built the corner wall tiles, then the orthogonal wall tiles.

The only hitch is that you constantly have to be un-suspending the wall construction jobs, as they get interrupted by water.

So, long story short, it is possible, and if you notice 7/7 water in the problem tiles all the time, you might need to add more pumps. For example, you could put another pump in each of your corners to increase suction.

blainemono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: river drainage (the dwarven way)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:43:39 am »

Hmm, building inside the pump intake area never occured to me, I wanted to drain the whole square of the riverbed and then build comfortably. Worth a shot, thanks.