Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Modding  (Read 1131 times)

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More Modding
« on: May 25, 2007, 02:29:00 pm »

Ok as I understand it Toady stated somewhere that it is necessary for the game to have an entity that has the child_snatcher tag, and I'm pretty sure he said something about the nuisance tag as well. This applies to goblins and kobolds respectively. Now I want to know what happens if you have several entities with these tags. Will it cause the game to crash. I believe someone said that the game crashes without any entities with those tags. Any ideas? I want to make the world filled with supernatural creatures and zombies that will attack me so I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: More Modding
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »

Give it a shot!  I'd love to hear your findings.  I'm starting to want to get into modding for real instead of just making minor tweaks like halving arrow and crossbow damage and such.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

If you have several snatchers, it should just pick 3 of them at random, possibly with repeats.  For the nuisance one, it might pick 50, since I think that's how many nuisance caves the world gets.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »

Thanks Toady! I decided to try it out with the nuisance tag... So far I have found that it does indeed work. I have also tried to make a race of dragons using the nuisance tag. I have not explored the entirety of the world yet, so I haven't found out if it worked. The world was created so I'm not sure if it just skipped over them or not. Anyway the other one with the nuisance definietely worked and I got a quest to kill the queen. It was fun to say the least. Anyway I'm gonna go try child snatcher next when I'm done with this world!

I forgot to mention I saw LOTS of goblin fortresses... I mean A LOT, like lots more then normal.. I'm not sure what that means. I still haven't done the child snatching test yet.

[ May 26, 2007: Message edited by: ricemastah ]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 12:46:00 am »

goblins would be the snatchers.  you probably saw kobold forts.  maybe it populates a full set of forts for each entity it selects?

with nuisance dragons, that would mean you would get dragon raiders instead of kobolds?  for me, that usually means groups of 2-5 dragons coming about twice a year, and making a bee-line for the enterence?!?!

but if you left offerings outside for them, they would take them and leave?  oh my god, thats soo cool.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 11:37:00 am »

Well during the world gen I saw that it said goblin forts. And so far I have seen kobolds in the caves. I still haven't seen the dragons yet... but I am still looking. I thought I might see them in "The Legendary Cave". I mean seriously, look at the name!

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 09:38:00 am »

I found them... It wasn't pretty either... One dragon walked up to me, bit me and incinerated me. Admittedly I was all but naked and I only had elk leather on, but it wasn't a pretty sight.