Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about military (mainly)  (Read 522 times)

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
Questions about military (mainly)
« on: April 04, 2011, 02:18:39 pm »

Hello guys, I got another batch of questions here. Ty for your most need help XD

Are all bolt and arrow single use? Can't dwarf pick up arrow used for training?

Does wasting arrow on training (wood become fairly rare with time passing by) worth it?

How does I set my dwarf to store back all used weapon or armor when they remove/change them?

Can a dwarf wear a traning sword and metal sword at the same time? Will he swap them automatically when goblin are on the prowl?

How do I delete nickname I set for my dwarf? Seem like the delete key only type a 'house looking' caracter and delete nothing. I can't change nickname...

Will dwarf wake up when attacked? (military dwarfs) Do I need to set an alarm?

How can I negociate again my import agreement?

What is the purpose of mint coin? How can it be stocked?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about military (mainly)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 03:47:43 pm »

Hello guys, I got another batch of questions here. Ty for your most need help XD

Are all bolt and arrow single use? Can't dwarf pick up arrow used for training?
haven't used it yet

Does wasting arrow on training (wood become fairly rare with time passing by) worth it?
you can use bone for it, no other real use for bone so that won't be a waste

How does I set my dwarf to store back all used weapon or armor when they remove/change them?
You can order them to only wear armor/weapon when on duty so they will store it in their barracks if it assigned for equipment

Can a dwarf wear a traning sword and metal sword at the same time? Will he swap them automatically when goblin are on the prowl?
You do not need a training swords, they will not hurt the other dwarves (too much), even if they do not wear armor. anyway, Dwarves will use whatever weapon you assign them and they cannot dual wield weapons, so they will probably wear the most expensive one if you order them to wear both.

How do I delete nickname I set for my dwarf? Seem like the delete key only type a 'house looking' caracter and delete nothing. I can't change nickname...
Set it to nothing? This works with DwarfTherapist

Will dwarf wake up when attacked? (military dwarfs) Do I need to set an alarm?
I'm pretty sure they do not care what is going on if they are sleeping

How can I negociate again my import agreement?
Allow the liason to meet the expedition leader/mayor/etc

What is the purpose of mint coin? How can it be stocked?
There is no purpose, there was economy system with them but is was broken and removed
Hope I helped

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:50:40 pm »

Coins are currently of no use (other tha trading) and don't get quality modifiers so make a poor trade good.

You can also make bolts from bone, so if you have breeding animals that could be a viable alternative.

Fighting wakes dwarfs so they should be fine.

When you change a dwarfs uniform they should swap out the items. I like to leave my military dwarfs armor on even while not on duty.

Arrows and bolts are single use, but it seems you can occasionally reclaim one that hasn't broken on impact.

I don't think dwarfs can equip two weapons at once.

AFAIK you can't change the trade agreement once it has been made.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:59:56 pm »

ty guys, this answer most of my questions...

And I just had LOTSA fun... My expedition leader was fractured and I had no water in winter, so I dug until I found a cave for fresh unfrozen water but never found it until I breached out some nasty 'idontknowwhat' creature that started rampaging my fortress :D

It did gave a lot of real pleasure to my militia tough...

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 04:08:21 pm »

you can dual weild if you assing specific weapon, but that takes a tone of patcience.
ive had crossbow dwarfs with swords as well before.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 04:09:24 pm »

Apparently you can save ammo while training if you build a "catcher" in front of and/or around your target, as ammo is destroyed when it falls.  By "catcher" I mean a hole that allows the ammo to fall a z-level after hitting the target or wall.  I've only tried it with siege ammo, but I hear tell it works with bolts fired from crossbows.  Either way, I hardly think it's worth it with bolts; make bone or copper bolts, and utilize the caverns as a wood source if you haven't already.  It's unlikely that you'll run out of materials to make them.

Storing assigned equipment while inactive is achieved by changing the option in the bottom-rightish of the Schedules screen from "Inactive: Uniformed" to "Inactive: Civ Clothes" or something like that.  I think the toggle button is u.

Be careful about dwarves sleeping and eating and drinking while giving them orders... sometimes they just won't go because they're busy.  Best bet: have more than "just enough" dwarves in your militia.

You'll be able to change your import agreement next Autumn, when the dwarven caravan returns (hopefully) with the stuff you asked for last time.

Saim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 04:10:18 pm »

A tip to save at least some of your arrows if you're conerned with consumption (they really do burn through them!) build your archery ranges like so...

. A . A . A .
 |    |   |    |
 |    |   |    |
 |    |   |    |

A is of course the archey target the .'s are holes in the ground so if the arrows drop down below they won't break and I have each archery range by itself (seemed to work best for me this way) keep in mind that you can't make a hole in front of the target to save even more arrows. They won't even shoot at the target if you do this.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:25:00 pm »

Funny is that they dont seem to pick them up... I also found that a resus macac shooting gallery is infinitely more exp gathering :D

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 08:00:46 pm »

Used ammo is automatically forbidden.  Go to 'o'rders->'F'orbid, it's the first item on the list.  You can go to 'z'->stocks and scroll down to ammo, highlight the ammo that has an 'F' next to it, and press 'f' to unforbid any ammo that is already forbidden.

Live target practice gives out a lot more experience than training.  Shooting at wild animals or disarmed goblins is much better than shooting at an archery range.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 01:06:45 am »

As for bolts, once the archers reach a certain skill level, you will only need them to practice occasionally, to keep the skill from getting rusty. If you were smart, and gave them some basic training in shield/dodging, the times you do not want them to target practice, assign them to train those months, to refresh shield use/dodge from demonstrations/sparring. Then assign bolts to your new rookie archers to train, assign bolts when the experts need to refresh
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration