Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finally! A use for kittens.  (Read 1056 times)

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finally! A use for kittens.
« on: April 05, 2011, 05:13:50 am »

3 years into my fortress and I am not 100% sure on this number, but I think I have 72 kittens and 10 cats. I only brought the 2 to start with.
That just shows you how much I hate them during this fortress.
But here is how they are useful...
A Giant attacked my fortress. All of my civilian dwarves rushed inside, while my militia rushed to a rally point to confront the beast. As it approached my walls, it caught site of a kitten, playing in the meadows and trying hard to catch that butterfly that it was best friends with. Unfortunately, the Giant took exception to this frolicking and proceeded to chase the little furball right into my militia.
While the Giant pummeled the poor thing, the militia tookt he opening and felled it rather quickly. Once it had collapsed they continued to smash it repeatedly with their Silver Warhammers.
They are 27 pages in and still going strong...

So in short, Giant bait. Makes for a good sacrifice that isn't a dwarf.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finally! A use for kittens.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:21:57 am »

Using a rope to restrain them outside the gate makes them a more reliable counter-measure.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:04:17 am »

I put all my kittens in a 1 tile wide pit. They breed like crazy.

Any prisoners can go in there. Death by kitten swarm is hilarious.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 07:09:33 am »

Hilarious when they suffocate under the cats.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 07:42:23 am »

I prefer using them as Cave Rovers. Especially in my 1st layer cave, which contains about 20 FBs.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:09:08 am »

I just kill the one female cat as soon as she has spawned a female kitten. I only got 5 cats right now - year 8. Oh - and catloving dwarves? That's what the burrow below the atomsmasher is for.

I actually had to purchase a new female cat in year 2 or 3, because a mad yak had killed her off before she had spawned a female kitten.

Dogs, on the other hand. Dogs are just despicable. Having multiple litters all the time, hiding cleverly as war / hunting dogs at the bottom of the animal list so that I miss the bitches. Attacking each other on the 3x3 pen I made for them. Letting camels through the entrance. Gah.

I'm phasing them out now, because I modded the vultures to be [TRAINABLE] and not exotic anymore. Much easier to control the population of. I haven't seen them fighting each other yet. And they should be more adapt at dealing with those pesky vulture / buzzard invasions anyway.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:11:12 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 08:31:04 am »

War Grizzlies are much better than dogs(at least in terms of food output per animal), assuming you can control the population(which shouldn't be too hard with a dozen dedicated butcher/haulers).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 10:37:43 am »

War elephants used to be good... now they wont ive long enough to be trained as war animals :(

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o