Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Complex actions, can they be modded in?  (Read 354 times)

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
Complex actions, can they be modded in?
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:44:43 pm »

Hey all! I'm fairly (by which I mean almost entirely) new to modding. So far, I've done little things like change minor raw tags to correct for bugs and that sort of thing, but that's about it.

However, I've recently come up with a little pet idea for making smelting much easier. I've found that good metals such as gold and iron tend to be pretty deep on my maps(if they're there at all...), meaning that my smelters take forever just getting the materials for smelting. My brilliant idea was to create mine carts. The basic premise is that you could make workshops known as "minecar stations" and connect them with "track," which would require something like a metal rod and a mechanism to  create per 3 segments or something. Track would be one-way, but could be switched much like siege engines(would also include corners). One could use "minecar stations" to "create minecar", which would then be part of the track. One could also enable "Haul <stone/metal> to minecar," which would use the stone-hauling job(a minecar would hold around 10 or 15), and "start minecar." The last would start moving any and all minecars on a non-station track, as well as the first minecar in the station in which the task was enabled, along the direction of the track, and they would stop moving whenever they ran out of track or were blocked by  something. A dwarf could then go and collect metals and stone from that car without having to walk so far. It might possibly need to use power.

Now, as I said, I'm new to modding. I could probably figure out pretty quickly how to set up the "create minecart" task, and how to build each building. My big problem is how they all would fit together(i.e. get the minecars on the track and get them moving in the proper directions at the proper times). Is it possible to do something like this?

(Yeah, I tend to be rather wordy. Sorry, but I like to think  it's preferable to not giving enough info ;) )
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complex actions, can they be modded in?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:57:20 pm »

This isn't possible right now, but the devlog says that Toady plans on implementing something like it in a future version.

For right now, you could make a reaction that takes 10 or 20 or 100 of some specific stone and turns it into a specialized toy item, and then another reaction that takes that toy and turns it back into stone - use one near your miners and the other near your stonecrafter and it's a pretty good approximation of minecarts, I think.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
Re: Complex actions, can they be modded in?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:00:06 pm »

Ooh, that's a pretty awesome idea! I'll have to read up on how to do that! Thanks!
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!