Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Easy way to put dwarfs in squads?  (Read 2616 times)

xtc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Easy way to put dwarfs in squads?
« on: January 21, 2012, 01:13:21 pm »

Just about the only part of the interface I dread these days is putting dwarfs into squads.
First I run a script on Dwarf Therapist to find dwarfs that don't have important jobs. Then I type out their names into Excel.
Then I use the DF interface to find those dwarfs. Since they aren't listed alphabetically I have to search through maybe 100+ names to find the one I want. I need to repeat this say 10 times for a full squad.

Surely there is an easier way? Can I assign squads from Dwarf Therapist directly? Even being able to list names alphabetically would help a lot.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Easy way to put dwarfs in squads?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 01:14:49 pm »

It would.  I don't think there currently is.  I am hoping either Toady or the guy who makes Dwarf Therapist will make this easier at some point. 

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:18:33 pm »

I usually use Therapist to make a custom "Soldier" profession and enable it on the dwarves I want to recruit.  Searching these lists for "Soldier" at the end of the name is much easier.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 01:20:04 pm »

I check each new migrant as the show up, I then give those with useless skills, or military skills the custom title profession title Recruit and then they get to be haulers until I am ready to draft them. That way all I have to do is look for dwarfs with the right title in the squad menu.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 01:21:18 pm »

The drafting list is ordered my migration wave, if that helps.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 01:21:48 pm »

The easiest way is actually probably to do something like Moosey's method, except also number them by the squad you want them in. For instance, a custom profession of "1 War" will be easy to find and assign to the same squad as all the other 1 Wars. This is especially nice if you don't otherwise use numbers in your custom nicknames or professions, as they'll be the only guys with numbers on their entry.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 03:56:28 pm »

It's also worth noting that in the positions screen (the one you create squads from), when you select a dwarf it tells you what squad a dwarf is currently in, if any. That lets you easily find the squadless ones and draft them.

Since I draft almost everyone, I just give custom professions to the ones I don't want to draft. For example, "Chief Weaponsmith" for the highest level weaponsmith, whom I definitely don't want to draft.

Jimmy T. Malice

• Bay Watcher
  • The severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 03:12:27 am »

I just whiz through the list of dwarves until I come across one with combat skills and draft them.
Urist McDorf cancels Pull lever: not that bloody stupid