Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something stupid and slightly fun to do when you can't  (Read 3107 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Something stupid and slightly fun to do when you can't
« on: February 16, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

Type the names of things from Dwarf Fortress into Babel Fish and translate them into a different language.

Angerices The Soft Evil Hammer-Entrails of Sneezing = Zorngefriert die weichen schlechten Hammer-Eingeweide des Niesens

Zorngefriert die weichen schlechten Hammer-Eingeweide des Niesens ist ein KunstproduktseilcReedrechthandschuh. Er bedroht mit Spitzen des aussergewöhnlichen Qualitätskatzeknochens. Auf ihm ist ist ein Bild eines Zwergs und Zwerge im meisterhaften Qualitätself überziehen den Zwerg wird verschlungen von den Zwergen mit Leder. Das Bild bezieht auf dem Fall von Purpurrotenkäse im frühen Winter von 1029.

Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Re: Something stupid and slightly fun to do when you can't
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:35:00 am »

Translated back into english:

"Anger-freezes soft bad hammer entrails of sneezing is a KunstproduktseilcReedrechthandschuh. It threatens with points of the unusual quality cat bone. On it is a picture of a dwarf and dwarves is in masterful quality eleven covers the dwarf devoured from the dwarves with leather. The picture refers in the case of magenta red cheese in the early winter of 1029."

an artifact comemmorating dwarves eating deseased dwarves?

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 12:40:00 am »

In a word. No.

In several words.  It's an artifact commemorating the fall of a fortress due the dwarves going insane and eating each other alive.

It also somehow managed to completely fudge "elf leather."

[ February 16, 2008: Message edited by: Ioric Kittencuddler ]

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 12:50:00 am »

I was just referring to the fun that stems from mistranslations. if you swap it back and forth a couple times, you end up with something REALLY wacky. for example, this post translated to French, German, English, Italian, French, then back to English:

"I was with the pleasure which refers reasonably, that it comes from érronées the translations if you it in the two directions of the period of the permutates of coupling, upwards finishes them with something of REALITY excentriquement for example, this arbr2 translated anchors to French of German, English, Italian, French, then with the inglese:"

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 01:07:00 am »

Well yes of course.  :D

Moocow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 01:27:00 am »

Can't play DF? I feel sorry for you.
Death solves all problems - no dwarf, no problem.
- Joseph Stalin

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:54:46 pm by penguinofhonor »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Impending Doom:
<STRONG>I was just referring to the fun that stems from mistranslations. if you swap it back and forth a couple times, you end up with something REALLY wacky. for example, this post translated to French, German, English, Italian, French, then back to English:

"I was with the pleasure which refers reasonably, that it comes from érronées the translations if you it in the two directions of the period of the permutates of coupling, upwards finishes them with something of REALITY excentriquement for example, this arbr2 translated anchors to French of German, English, Italian, French, then with the inglese:"</STRONG>

I find it funny that the translator inserted a number into a translation that should consist entirely of letters...

[ February 17, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>Babelfish is horrid, but therefore can give hilareous results.</STRONG>

for a purely mechanical translator it's actually not horrible. Yes, it tends to lose and distort information but you can almost always understand the translation and it's not usually terrible unless you run it through over and over (which is just silly).

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »

Before: Sourvandals the Skinny Guild of Weirds.
This is a Aluminum chain mail. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with Aluminum. This object menaces with spikes of Aluminum. On the item is an image of dwarves in Aluminum. The dwarves are laboring. On the item is an image of dwarves in Fire opal. The dwarves are travelling.

After (German-French-Italian-English):
Sourvandals Zuenft thin of the Weirds. This last one is one shirt of aluminum chain. All craftsdwarfship it is of the elevated quality more. It becomes with aluminum verziert. This object threatens with the tops aluminum. On the element, an image of the dwaries in the aluminum is. The dwaries to work. On the element, an image of the dwaries in the Feueropal is. The dwaries travel.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>On the element, an image of the dwaries in the Feueropal is.</STRONG>

I just cried.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:54:53 pm by penguinofhonor »

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »

Original: Wonderrages the Tube of Panthers.

This is a andesite earring. It is decorated with cow leather and encircled with bands of aluminum and turtle shell. This object menaces with spikes of andesite and tower-cap. On the item is an image of two blade weed in andesite. On the item is an image of dwarves in mica. The dwarves are traveling. On the item is an image of a rat weed in Ash.

English -> Portugese -> French -> Greek -> English

Wonderrages the pipe panthcres

This is earring andesite. Djakosmej'taj with investment with skin of cow and $$lencircled>with the bands of shield of aluminium and turtle. This object threatens with points andesite and torre-tampgo. In in the article it is a picture of harmful grass of two blades in andesite. In in the article it is a picture of dwarfs in in the mj'ka. The dwarfs travel. In in the article it is a picture of harmful grass of mouse in in the ash.

000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death