Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Animals starving to death in pastures  (Read 5660 times)

Taren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals starving to death in pastures
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 02:19:52 pm »

Yaks can do okay, at least I've gone many many years with them. You do need a decent sized area, I keep a decent sized indoor meeting/pasture area just in case with grass in, in the case of a long siege.

I have also heard rumors of elephants simply being unusable unmodded, due to them having an over 25(20?) grazing value, meaning they cannot move fast enough to eat all they require. I've not played the game long enough to test, but as far as most domesticated animals go you are fine. On those that die too fast, you can still breed then slaughter them before they starve, and in the case of elephants this gives you massive amounts of renewable products if you are fortunate enough to find them.

-edit

I should say with the massive advantages in having and breeding huge beasts, I would be in favor of having extra costs in keeping them alive. As a suggestion - perhaps extra food might need to be provided in a troff perhaps to balance on the advantages you get in battle or resource production.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:22:12 pm by Taren »

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals starving to death in pastures
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 02:24:51 pm »

My yaks have starved, and they're assigned to the pasture and such.  It -MAY- have to do with the fact that they were hungry when they came into the pasture to begin with.  Hunger slows down activity (possibly eating?), and thus the effect snowballed - they were too hungry to eat at a normal speed, which caused them to be more hungry, which moved them to starvation making them even slower eaters, until finally they died.
Pages: 1 [2]