Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Learning diagnosis  (Read 1553 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Learning diagnosis
« on: April 03, 2011, 12:28:07 pm »

I embarked without a diagnostician, and 80 dwarves later not one has arrived who knows how to diagnose (plenty of bone setters and suturers and wound dressers and surgeons though).  Is it possible to train a dwarf in diagnosis?

I picked a random dwarf and set him up as chief medical dwarf, but he doesn't diagnose patients.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Learning diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 12:35:26 pm »

You also have to enable the Diagnosis labor in the Labor screen (under Healthcare category).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 12:45:31 pm »

I hope you chose one who thinks that it is rewarding to help others. Otherwise he just might not care enough to pop by the hospital.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:30:32 pm »

You also have to enable the Diagnosis labor in the Labor screen (under Healthcare category).
I forgot to mention I had done that indeed.  I didn't check on his feelings though.  But would that cause him to sit unemployed for months rather than diagnose?

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 11:31:24 pm »

Dabbling Diagnostician: Yep, that's a injury alright. Better do something about that.
Legendary Diagnostician: It's Lupus. *pills*
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:40:39 pm »

I've done a couple forts with embark-trained Diagnosticians, but most of my Diagnosis-enabled dwarves started from scratch.  Diagnosers seem to be happy to sit around with "No Job" for a while before running off to diagnose people - checking Jobs, usually the Diagnose job simply hasn't shown up yet, which is probably the Chief Medical Dwarf's fault, though it seems to happen both with Embark-trained and unskilled CMDs, so I'm not sure how to improve on that.

Diagnosis is also a very, very low priority labor, which can stymie a hospital even if the Jobs are getting promptly created.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 12:05:49 am »

Dabbling Diagnostician: Yep, that's a injury alright. Better do something about that.
Legendary Diagnostician: It's Lupus. *pills*

Urist mcHouse says "It's never Lupus."

But to go along with the discussion, yes if the dwarf who is your chief medical dwarf, or main diagnoser, does NOT like to help others he'll just sit around going "Meh." while your hospital stocks up on fatally injured/syndromed dwarves.  If he DOES care enough to get there he'll basically go "Walk it off." and then bugger out and get an unhappy thought.  At least that's what mine did until he got into an "accident" and I found one who LIKED helping others.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:20:40 am »

After the first decent (15+) migrant wave I pick whowever has the best diagnostician skill, or the best overall medical skills if no diagnosticians have appeared, to be my CMD.

/alt+tab's to check the prefs of his newly appointed CMD for "likes to help" ... since its the middle of a battle against 15 sword elves and a spear elf (16 v 8, and half the dorfs are noobs with no armor).

[edit very shortly after posting]  I hope a "sense of duty" makes up for not caring one way or the other about helping folks.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:22:35 am by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 01:38:20 am »

If they don't like or hate helping others, that's OK. The ones who do like helping will get a happy thought though.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."