Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DWR FPS Death  (Read 488 times)

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
DWR FPS Death
« on: April 03, 2011, 06:53:10 pm »

Ok I've just been building a massive construction and a huge number of pumps and I've come accross a hitch.  My FPS has dropped to 13 and I thought it was due to the 5x5 embark and 117 dwarves.  It turns out that after deconstucting my DWRs because they didn't look neat enough the FPS has gone up to 60.  I built 20 reactors separate (enough for 4000 units of power) because it's about how much I need to power everything.  Why has this crucified my FPS?  :/  I'm going to keep them switched off until I need to start pumping magma and water into my facilities and then use them once and turn them off for good.  I didn't realise they were such a resource drain!
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: DWR FPS Death
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:54:11 pm »

It's because pressurized liquid is bad at pathing. Very bad.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 07:06:43 pm »

oh.  Is there a less laggy way of making a huge amount of power?  Space is not a limiting factor...
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 07:16:19 pm »

Have you checked for wind?

Also, the more compact you DWR array, & the less water involved, the less lag it should generate.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:45:55 am »

How do you mean?  I guess I was making the perfect lag storm because I'd never witnessed lag death from DWR before.  My array looked like this:

Code: [Select]
|W%W-W%W-W%W-W%W-W%W- -W%W-W%W-W%W-W%W-W%W|
|-V---V---V---V---V-----V---V---V---V---V-|
|-----------------------------------------|
|-V---V---V---V---V-----V---V---V---V---V-|
|W%W-W%W-W%W-W%W-W%W- -W%W-W%W-W%W-W%W-W%W|
|W%W|W%W|W%W|W%W|W%W| |W%W|W%W|W%W|W%W|W%W|
|W-W|W-W|W-W|W-W|W-W| |W-W|W-W|W-W|W-W|W-W|
\_________________________________________/

Power drawn from gear assemblies above.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:18:23 am »

If you only need power sometimes, you can put floodgates like this:
WPW
WPW
WFW

Where W= wheel, P = pump and F = floodgate

That way, you can at least activate the floodgates to turn off the reactors. Beware, they will probably destroy a little bit of water, so after turning it on/off a bunch of times you might have to refill. I haven't figured out a more efficient method, though, this seems effective enough for something used irregularly.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:42:22 am »

Using a Hatch rather than a floodgate over the intake tile shouldn't destroy any water.

Won't do squat about evaporation AFAIK though.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 08:53:53 am »

Evaporation I can live with.  It's not hard to refill em.  A neat way of turning them off is all I'm really after and this seems to be a good one.  The pumps only need to be active temporarily anyway.