Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Metal Whips...  (Read 8567 times)

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Whips...
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 10:30:08 pm »

Morningstars are only used by goblins, I think. So the only way to get them is within a larger shipment of goblinite.

I think 'umies use them too.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 10:38:53 pm »

In any case, in fortress mode (the only one I know anything about) you will probably get most of your whips from goblins. I sort of remember a human lasher as a caravan guard, maybe, and they might sell whips.I don't really remember as I seldom look closely at the weapons. Either way, probably you'll just pick some out of the mess your weapons traps made.

But yeah, something is a little messed up when whips can take out somebody in steel chain mail. Whatever effect they might have as a dueling weapon against bare skin they are pretty useless once some armor gets involved IRL.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:16:12 pm by agatharchides »
Memento Mori

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 03:52:48 am »

But yeah, something is a little messed up when whips can take out somebody in steel chain mail. Whatever effect they might have as a dueling weapon against bare skin they are pretty useless once some armor gets involved IRL.

Agreed, which is why I've nerfed them in my game.  They won't hurt anyone unless that person is naked as a jaybird (and with Dwarves, that makes it about 50/50)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

VinWij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 06:45:29 am »

So, how does one properly nerf a whip to make them less lethal? An obvious solution would be to mod them away from goblins, but couldn't we just increase contact area or reduce the speed? Perhaps also make it so that they can't be used for blocking (iirc swords and axes are used for that, no?)? The best solution would be to make them even more ineffective against armour, but how...?

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 07:05:54 am »

Reduce its size, as most of the weapon is slack and doesn't add its mass to the impact. If you think it's a leather (or similar) whip with a tiny metal tip, size 1. If you think it's a chain whip, size 11 would make sense (those often come in 9 sections).

Yes, it's an ugly solution and makes them too easy to carry... but is still in the spirit of the system rather than 'making up numbers until we like the results'

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 08:59:20 am »

I always pictured metal whips as being made out of leather and having different material on the barb/barbs at the tip--kind of like how the handle of an axe is generally going to be made out of wood.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!
Pages: 1 2 [3]