Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digging Through SMR  (Read 514 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Digging Through SMR
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:40:38 am »

Well the wiki page is a bit of a wall of text... I'm not sure I understand.

The only way to dig through the SMR is to channel it, pour in water and magma, and dig into the resulting obsidian? Is there any faster/easier way? I want to build a (large) tower through the SMR (made out of obsidian anyway), big enough for a big ramp spiral incase we ever get caravans. Then I'm going to live in hell. (Don't worry, I'll deal with the demons.)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Digging Through SMR
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:42:46 am »

Well the wiki page is a bit of a wall of text... I'm not sure I understand.

The only way to dig through the SMR is to channel it, pour in water and magma, and dig into the resulting obsidian? Is there any faster/easier way? I want to build a (large) tower through the SMR (made out of obsidian anyway), big enough for a big ramp spiral incase we ever get caravans. Then I'm going to live in hell. (Don't worry, I'll deal with the demons.)
Dig through the adamantine?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:45:44 am »

I want to build a (large) tower through the SMR (made out of obsidian anyway), big enough for a big ramp spiral incase we ever get caravans.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:50:31 am »

I wasn't aware you could channel SMR.  I guess it's worth a shot. 

I do know cave-ins don't work.  The SMR acts like a sponge and seems to absorb everything that falls on it.  (Otherwise the cave-ins from my volcano's caldera would've punched through to Hell while it was forming.)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:01:58 pm »

You cannot channel through SMR with the known technique in a large enough area to build a spiral ramp. The known technique allows only 1x1 holes through the SMR itself; the only way to make a caravan route through is via the adamantine tubes, and that is questionable at best depending on the layout of the tube itself. Um. I'm blanking on the most compact possible caravan-accessible spiral ramp design, but I seem to remember that it was 6x6 at the smallest. That should be able to fit in a very-vertical tube, but most won't allow it. Maybe if you got lucky and got a very short SMR layer it would work.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!