Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Creating ☼Advanced World Generation☼ docs, have questions.  (Read 8829 times)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Creating ☼Advanced World Generation☼ docs, have questions.
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 07:16:22 pm »

I looked at the good/evil thing and I think I see how it's working now. Basically if you have even one "desired" evil square in large regions, you'll end up with at least one entire large region being evil. I think this is what Misterstone was trying to say.... Anyway, docs updated.

wuphonsreach: I'm pretty sure you have to load the world up in legends mode and do the export/map info option, but you can still do that with worlds from the basic generation thing. I just don't want to have to do this 25 times to retrieve all of the configuration values.

Also fixed up this page:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Worldgen_examples

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 01:09:28 pm »

It's funny that you should be updating the evil square count info right now. I wanted to generate world with a terrifying ocean for an Innsmouth-themed fort. I decided to try the advanced world gen, since the basic produced no evil ocean squares whatsoever in several maps.

If I remember rightly, the original values (medium island map) were 6 small regions, 63 medium regions, and 0 large regions. I decided to try values of 32, 63, and 32 respectively - just off the top of my head, and I ended up with a world where the entire ocean was evil.

I haven't experimented any more than that as I was happy with the site I found, but I'm guessing that the last number was the one related to ocean biomes. I suppose that makes sense, since ocean terrain is less varied and would probably include more "large regions".

Edit: Okay, maybe I'm talking crap.

Out of curiosity, I've just tried creating worlds with evil square values of 32:63:0, 6:63:32, and then 32:63:32 again. While there was a little more evil than normal, I saw nothing like the amount of evil in the other world I generated. There were evil oceans, but they were still rare.

In each of these new worlds, the evil regions were scattered across sea and land. I guess I got some kind of fluke the first time, right when I wanted it. Lucky me!

Sorry I can't be much help.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:28:24 pm by Newbunkle »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 01:53:19 pm »

• Site Cap after civ creation - A site is a megabeast cave, lair, cavern, town, hamlet, dark fortress, forest retreat, castle, or any other site.  However, this parameter controls only Civ-type sites.  The rest will be added on to this maximum.  After civs reach this cap, they will not reach out anymore to place new cities.
  • Cull Unimportant historical figures - Certain entities die early, without killing anything else important.  They are erased from history, replaced with an ignoble anonymous mention on someone or something's kill list.
  • Rainfall - Also makes more rivers appear on the world map scale
  • Titan number - Megabeasts of a random nature.  They are generated all over.  Changing the Megabeast and Semimegabeast numbers change the number of pre-generated semi- and megabeasts.

Note: One can attempt to make a world go through the ages more quickly by pumping UP the amount of semimegabeasts, who are usually more killable than the regular megabeasts, as the "Age of Legends" and "Age of Heroes" depend upon the PERCENTAGE of megabeasts killed, not the number.
  • Night creatures - Confirmed.  Zero means no boogies. I usually play with "1" night creature type, since I like the boogiemen but hate the legends about bitch women and horned men taking royalty as their spouse...
  • Periodically erode extreme cliffs - Makes every impassable rock wall into a series of ramps.  I don't use this as it's cheap and ugly.  Pump up erosion to about 250, and turn the "Desired pre-erosion river count" to 0 for good erosion and no extra canyons (see rain re: generating rivers above)
  • Orthographic percip. and rain shadows - This should be disabled if you're importing a map or using a preset map file that has weather.  Makes mountains form a "rain shadow" with dry on one side and moist on the other.  Also adds a random element which can distort or otherwise mess up the climates on a pregenerated map
  • Max number of subregions - Upping this number will give less rejects.  If a map has too much variation in biomes (that's a region), the generation begins again.  Setting it higher has no effect on the number of regions generated.

I also need information on how modding impacts world gen params since I haven't done any modding.

Geez, have you got a minuite?

All entities have a starting civ max of 100, and a max pop of 10,000.  This means that if you set the worldgen parameter for "Population Cap" to "No cap", you will quickly be overrun by sites and people.  This is not good.

All entites have 3 or 4 basic variables that will greatly affect their final placement on the world map, in respects to this kind of unchecked growth (and thereby, how to check it).

[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER] - Worldgen picks civs in sequential order from the raws (what sequence I'm not sure).  Once it reaches the end of the list, it will begin again at the top.  Setting this number lower than 100, like say, 7, will cause worldgen to skip over this civ for placement if there are already 7 civs of this type.  Note that if all civs are set to lower numbers, and the number of starting civs is set higher than the maximum possible amount of civs in total, it will gracefully stop placing civs and get down to the history aspect of worldgen.

[START_GROUP_NUMBER:4] - Number of breeding couples a civ starts with.  Helps give a boost to weaker civs by giving them more cannon fodder at the beginning of their histories, and better genetic diversity (if that's modeled for that particular creature).

[MAX_POP_NUMBER:2000] - Not sure quite how this effects civs, actually.  I've set it to "0" and civs still have people. Checking in Legends mode shows that people joined the civilization and were unaffected by this cap.  I presume that it controls the kind of population formed through birthing and not immigration/babysnatching/

[MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:100] - Generic site types will not hold any more than this number of entities.  Must be at least 80 for towns to be generated.  In general, lower pop numbers mean more sprawl, and higher numbers mean more needing to crawl when entering town stores, which are not affected by this cap.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 01:54:41 pm »

The evil/good thing seems to behave in a strange unintuitive manner.

I think that what you probably want to do if you want, say. 1/5th of the ocean to be evil is go crank up the "minimum final region count" for oceans to at least 5, the minimum ocean square count to however much ocean you want, then set "evil for large regions" to the approximate size of the evil region you want. I *think* that the thing will pick the ocean region that's closest to the size of whatever you set for large region evil squares.

So, I think that if you have large ocean regions with 1500, 2500, and 3500 squares each, and no other large regions other than oceans, and you set evil squares for large regions to 2100, I think it will pick the 2500 region to make evil.

Of course you have to make sure you have enough elevations in the range 0-99 that are separate from each other so you'd probably also need to crank up elevation variance and maybe adjust the mesh to be a large size and increase the weighted range for 0-20.

Of course the parameters don't let you specifically say "only make oceans evil" so you're probably still left to chance and may have to manually reject a few worlds before you get what you want.

As you can see this crap is complicated and that's why I was getting kind of sick of not having good docs to refer to. Heck, I wrote most of the docs at this point and I still need it as a reference.

If you come up with something good, please post it to the Worldgen Examples page talking about how you had to adjust the parameters to get this to work. Sometimes the only way for people to figure out complicated stuff like this is to look at what other people came up with.

Anyway, things are improving but we could still use people to look over the docs and try to identify anything that's incorrect. (For example, I had the mesh size thing wrong and recently fixed it.) So anyone who has time please read over the docs. You'll probably end up learning something anyway....
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 02:23:04 pm by ral »

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:02 pm »

Jeoshua: Thanks! I think this finishes off all of my unanswered questions except...

Note: One can attempt to make a world go through the ages more quickly by pumping UP the amount of semimegabeasts, who are usually more killable than the regular megabeasts, as the "Age of Legends" and "Age of Heroes" depend upon the PERCENTAGE of megabeasts killed, not the number.[/li][/list]
I tried to test this idea but I seem to be doing something wrong. Which parameters exactly would you set to what in order to get more ages and how many years of history would need to be generated? I tried pumping up semimegabeast caves (making it like 5x the number of megabeast caves) and it didn't seem to do anything over a 500 year history, though I was messing with a rather harsh and thus not so heavily populated world.....

Anyway, I have added all of the stuff about civilization population to the wiki. Thanks! Let me know if this looks good to you:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Advanced_world_generation#Population_Cap_After_Civ_Creation
Pages: 1 2 [3]