Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: metal mechanisms  (Read 1544 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
metal mechanisms
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:15:03 pm »

Is it normal for a non-smith mechanic to make metal mechanisms at the forge?  Not complaining, I just wasn't expecting to see one of my miner/mason/mechanics at the forge making the mechanism I plan to use on the fancy well ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: metal mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:17:30 pm »

Yes. I don't think I would want the guy who makes statues and sarcophagi to be making tiny intricate little thingummies like mechanisms.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:18:12 pm »

Is it normal for a non-smith mechanic to make metal mechanisms at the forge?  Not complaining, I just wasn't expecting to see one of my miner/mason/mechanics at the forge making the mechanism I plan to use on the fancy well ...
Yup.

Building mechanisms uses the mechanic skill instead of blacksmith/metal crafting skills, so any mechanic will do it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 08:58:43 pm »

Yes. I don't think I would want the guy who makes statues and sarcophagi to be making tiny intricate little thingummies like mechanisms.
I could see it going either way, and with how DF does things I was more expecting the metal-smith to be the one to make it.

Not complaining, however, as the mechanism was built and my well completed: silver mechanism, iron chain, andesite blocks, and a -copper bucket-.   :D
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 11:10:47 pm »

Try to get masterwork steel mechanisms. They're incredibly valuable.

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:15:06 pm »

Since when can you make metal mechanisms? o.O

Skivverus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:15:41 pm »

For a while now. They're under trap components at the forge.

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:14:16 am »

Huh. Would be nice if there was a way to order metal mechanisms in the manager screen.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 12:16:55 am »

Huh. Would be nice if there was a way to order metal mechanisms in the manager screen.
I agree.  Luckily the options were quite easy to get through in the workshop UI.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 02:58:34 am »

this topic is close enough for my question?
if i tell my forge to make a metal crossbow, does a weaponsmith or a bowyer make it?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 03:25:29 am »

You've been able to make metal mechanisms since 31.01.

Its just not in the manager screen for some reason.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 03:35:53 am »

this topic is close enough for my question?
if i tell my forge to make a metal crossbow, does a weaponsmith or a bowyer make it?

Metal crossbows are made by weaponsmiths at a forge, bone and wood crossbows are made by bowyers at a bowyer's workshop.