Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A collapse!  (Read 1245 times)

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A collapse!
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:50:29 pm »

My dwarven adventurer has just sustained serious injuries after what seems to have been the collapse of an underground cavern underneath a town. I thought it was a crash, the game lagged so badly. There's dust and water. I no longer appear to be sitting on the surface. My fps has died, but my hero is unconscious.

Edit:
Perished. Drowned? Battered? It is unknown. Something to do with a 'cloud of boiling magma'.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:56:47 pm by TerryDactyl »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A collapse!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:09:17 pm »

Whoa! Things you may possibly notice:

-Things like that may happen in the rest of the world.
-Other oddities such as items strewn everywhere after the collapse (if you survive)
-The same thing happening when you create another adventurer and they go to the same area.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:37:03 pm »

My next adventurer is unplayably slow.

I got out to the travel map and judging from the local geography.... it *might* be the same site as before. It's all grown over now. Looks like a prickleberry farm.

Filming in progress.

A river running into the river is destroying my fps. That much is solved. Haven't found a way down, yet.

Edit:
This obviously isn't right. It just crashed when I tried to approach the site from another direction. "Runtime error:" "abnormal program termination". Crash reported. http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4385
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:21:08 pm by TerryDactyl »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:31:15 pm »

Reminds me of the 'landmine' report someone made a while ago: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=71239.0

You should pass the save and location information so we can observe as well. Others' machines may handle it differently and avoid the crashing. Screenshots If you can get them :)

random collapsing upon entering a region tile has been reported a lot actually. Almost like there are sinkholes everywhere but unfortunately it's just the terrain generator messing up.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CerealGuns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 06:19:23 pm »

I had a very similar situation the other day.  I was playing on a newly generated world in Fortress mode and I got a bunch of cavern collapse messages at the very start.  It was puzzling but after several messages they stopped and everything seemed ok.

Later I tried playing the same world in Adventure mode and I got immediate massive slowdown followed by a collapse and death.  I created a 2nd adventurer in the same world and after a little wandering the same thing happened again.  Some bogeyman got killed by the collapse too so I guess it's not all bad  :D

I ended up scrapping that world and starting a new one since the entire planet was apparently unstable or something.
Wielder of Mothtundra
Slayer of Ostrur the Acrid Abyssal Nettles
Duke of Channelravens

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:48:24 am »

Not long ago, i was walking an Adventurer along a coastline (Dont ask why), when i got messages of a cavern collapsing. I think i know what it is, upon some research in Fortress mode.

Occassionally, DEEEEEEEEEEEEEP Underground, there can be unstable Caverns. The Cavern breaks at one part, the Caverns around it breaks, and it creates a Fractal effect. However, occassionally this collapses into Magma, which then rises, becomes cramped, boils, then creates explosions of Steam, furthering the Fractal break.
The end result is theoretically a fissure.

It took me a while to investigate that, but *i* think it was worth the effort.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 02:57:16 am »

Uggggh, I hate when people say "fractal" when they do not, in fact, mean anything remotely similar to a damned fractal.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 03:39:50 am »

Uggggh, I hate when people say "fractal" when they do not, in fact, mean anything remotely similar to a damned fractal.
You wouldn't happen to be my geometry teacher, would you? :P

I think he means it's causing a cascading effect of one ave-in causing another that ends up obliterating large sections.
However, as discussed previously, steam does NOT have a 'pressure' or otherwise cause the explosive collapses. It's simply a product of the instantly boiled water and floats around it's point of origin entirely benignly. It won't interact with anything besides causing creatures to register a 'caught in a burst of steam' announcement, without harming said creature. liquid water exposed to the surface in freezing biomes may be the culprit for the 'landmine' thread I linked, however:
As ice walls brush up against magma underneath it, it suddenly thaws into a 7/7 block of water, which either reacts directly with the magma, creating obsidian, or is displaced slightly, where upon it freezes again. If this water refreezes over empty space (like over the middle of a magma pipe after a portion of the water has solidified into obsidian and fallen in) however it will cause a cave-in, launching both free magma and water into the air, generating the magma mist and steam seen throughout. The magma lands on other ice, instantly melting it. the water launched into the air instantly freezes, falling to the ground in yet another cave-in, sending more magma and more water flying. the magma and newly unfrozen water mix forming an obsidian wall, possibly extending the violent reaction by melting tiles around them. This can go on until the magma is exhausted through producing obsidian, or anti-gravity runs out of luck (by a divine miracle...) and the reaction crawls to a halt. In this way that man's companions were sucked into the pit o' doom by the cave-ins, smashed against stone and ice walls, or melted in the magma mist, or even trapped in ice/obsidian as the floor melted out from under them and refroze/obsidianized. If this sort of thing commonly occurs over natural magma pipes, we have something worth being afraid of, besides the bogeymen. We know that magma pipes still occasionally get generated entirely submerged under water, and adding a few layers of ice is less of a delay and more of a fuel-source for the reaction.
I REALLY want to try causing something like this to occur in DF mode now... Just dig out a pit under a glacier and fill with magma, easy enough...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 01:48:35 am »

YeaaAArGHJJ!1! STOPPIT! Nooo! I play DF -instead- of studying, you monster!!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.