Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What should I do with Wild Goats?  (Read 327 times)

Answulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What should I do with Wild Goats?
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:44:45 pm »

My starting area has a lot of wild goats, six currently.  What should I do with them?

Can I capture them and start breeding them for food, or do I have to hunt them and kill them?  Or should I just ignore them?

I didn't start with an animal trapper, trainer or hunter.  Do they have to be tame to breed for food?

I don't know, something about dwarves having mountain goats just seems right... :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:51:28 pm by Answulf »

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do with Wild Goats?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:54:20 pm »

You can capture them by building cage traps. You can then tame them in the kennels.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:57:38 pm »

To catch them, you need to build cage traps.  This requires a Mechanic, to make Mechanisms, and a Carpenter or Glassmaker or Blacksmith to make cages.  You build the cages out in the wild, and then optionally make walls to channel the wild goats over the cages.

Once you've caught them in cages, you need an Animal Trainer to tame them.

Note that if you don't have any of these dwarves, you can enable the required labors on the dwarves you do have.  They'll start at Dabbling skill level, which will cause them to work slowly and produce low-quality goods, but you don't really care for this.

Once you've tamed the goats, you need to create a pasture zone somewhere where there is grass, and assign the goats to it.  Tame goats will need to graze to not starve.

Alternately, don't tame the goats.  Instead, build their cages in a isolated room somewhere.  Build a lever and link the cages to it.  Build a door blocking off the room.  Lock the door and pull the lever.  The wild goats will mill around in the room and eventually breed more.  When you're ready to cull the herd, build enough cage traps in the corridor leading to the breeding room to catch them all, then open the door.  The advantage of this is that wild animals don't need to graze.  The disadvantage is that it's a lot more effort to set everything up and cull the herd.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Answulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 03:00:48 pm »

Thanks, that is exactly the info I was looking for!