Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble equipping dwarves with specific items  (Read 5178 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Trouble equipping dwarves with specific items
« on: April 01, 2011, 07:20:55 am »

For all my previous forts, I've always relied on ingeniously designed traps and lots and lots of Earthly love to keep enemy gobbos out, but I've been getting a bit tired of watching goblins roasting and instead want to see them being hacked to pieces using the raw power of dwarven muscles (aka I'm making a military fort).

So far I've been having no major problems with getting my military to train/equip/do stuff, but after recruiting more than ~25 dwarves in my army, I've been running into some management difficulties. I like to equip my dwarves individually, but after stocking up more than ~10 iron axes, I can't ever seem to remember whether an axe has been taken or not. I'd specifically assign a weapon to a new dwarf in training, only to realize 2 seasons later that I accidentally took my legendary axedwarf's battleaxe when he charged headfirst into an ambush party with nothing but his bare hands.

The same problem occurs with all the other kinds of armor such as when I accidentally take the socks and shoes of one dwarf and give them to another, and in my haste to correct the error, accidentally end up taking the footwear of yet another dwarf.

Is there some way to see which individual weapon/armor is assigned to which dwarf when choosing a specific weapon for them?

I know I could just assign them the general option of taking any random shoe/axe or taking what they prefer, but I really want to make my dwarves wear exactly what I want them to without accidentally taking the stuff from another dwarf.

Any help please?

tl;dr how can i see on the equip screen which of my 10 identical battle axes are already equipped by a dwarf or not?

Another question, when will my dwarves start to grow beards? They all have annoyingly elf-like clean shaves.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble equipping dwarves with specific items
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:32:58 am »

bump?

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 01:04:40 am »

tl;dr how can i see on the equip screen which of my 10 identical battle axes are already equipped by a dwarf or not?

On the equipment screen, you can't.

You can look at their individual inventory by zooming to them, hitting "v", hitting "i". A real pain though.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 03:28:05 am »

I know I could just assign them the general option of taking any random shoe/axe or taking what they prefer, but I really want to make my dwarves wear exactly what I want them to without accidentally taking the stuff from another dwarf.
Another question, when will my dwarves start to grow beards? They all have annoyingly elf-like clean shaves.

It's a pain that you can't do this as it would be handy to assign the strongest armour and best weapons to your most effective fighters. The best sort-of solution seems to be:

Define a custom uniform for different fighting types (hammerdwarves, sworddwarves and so on). Define the material types to make sure they pick up steel breastplates not cedar ones.
Assign the appropriate uniform to each squad and make it exact match and replace clothing.
Arrange the priority for equipment so your elite squads get first pick of what's available.
Check every now and then on the equipment screen to make sure all the dwarves in each squad have got the right kit. If they're missing anything forge/buy the missing gear until they're good.

Once you've got a wide range of gear available this works out fairly well I've found. The main problem is during the early years when you might have to compromise and define 'metal warhammer' instead of silver/steel. Since dwarves think a warhammer made of jelly is better than one of steel if the jelly one menaces with spikes of pigtail and has a picture of moose on it then they might pick up sub-optimal gear so you have to keep an eye on them and forbid/melt anything along those lines.

As to your second question the (numerous) dwarven babies my fortress is churning out seem to emerge from the womb with luxurious beards and braided moustaches so I've no idea what's going on with you. Perhaps there's something in the water.