Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Diversity In Media  (Read 8697 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Diversity In Media
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2011, 12:08:04 am »

Pig is a pretty common derogatory term applied to men, now that I think about it. It's not often I hear of a woman being called a pig, and when that happens it's generally far more offensive. I guess it's just applied to men so often that we tend to brush it off as people being sexist. I dunno.

Has anyone here ever been called a lizard, by any chance?
I have. It's because I'm a slimy lying bastard (at least in the eyes of the person who said it).

Has anyone here ever heard a woman called an asshole before? I never have.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2011, 12:08:31 am »

I've heard guys being called that--not to their faces, though.  Of course, the same person said I was psychologically a 7-year-old to my face, so I'm prone to call us even

Yeah.  Me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2011, 12:15:27 am »

Well, would you prefer that to bitch? Because I've always considered them to be two sides of the same coin. Essentially they both just mean "huge jerk." You even get the whole "All men are assholes" "All women are bitches" thing.

Personally, I find the idea of being an anus...particularly disgusting.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2011, 12:16:25 am »

Well, would you prefer that to bitch? Because I've always considered them to be two sides of the same coin. Essentially they both just mean "huge jerk." You even get the whole "All men are assholes" "All women are bitches" thing.

But.. Everyone has one x_x

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2011, 12:17:45 am »

Yeah.  Me.
Also: Numerous people where I live. It may be a regional thing, but it's just as common to call women assholes as it is to call men assholes. People swear a lot here.

Has anyone here ever been called a lizard, by any chance?
I have. It's because I'm a slimy lying bastard (at least in the eyes of the person who said it).
So that's what that guy was saying. I thought he was right off of his rocker, calling me a scaled quadruped out of the blue like that. Strange, though. I don't consider myself a lying bastard.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2011, 12:22:08 am »

But.. Everyone has one x_x
It would be inappropriate to describe the image it brings to my mind.

So that's what that guy was saying. I thought he was right off of his rocker, calling me a scaled quadruped out of the blue like that. Strange, though. I don't consider myself a lying bastard.
I don't consider myself a liar either. Sometimes people have strange definitions of the word lying.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2011, 12:24:25 am »

Well, I've never been running and had someone shout "run, asshole!" after me, though they have shouted "run, bitch!"  When people call me an asshole, it's a personality judgment.  Basically: I am a jerk.  Okay.  But people call me a bitch even though they don't know me, because I'm a woman.  When they call me a pig, it's because I'm being messy, and if they called me a cow, it'd be because I was a fat woman.  When they whistle or shout at me when I'm walking along on the street, they're either trying to scare me or joke about how unlikely it'd be for me to be attractive to anyone.  You know, ironic whistling.  And when folks just jump out and get in my way, blocking my path, I figure that has something to do with my being small rather than a big tough-looking dude.  I'm sure you understand the infantilization and why that would be problematic.

Honestly, yeah, the random just calling me a bitch was the worst, though.  It had nothing to do with who I was, or what I was doing to anyone.  I was a girl, doing something noticeable and unusual, and so I automatically became a dog.  That's pretty much how it went.

Barbar: Lizard is an insult for people who are cold, nasty, think too much without feeling or empathizing, and generally hurt others through their emotional detachment.  That's how I've heard it, anyway.  "Cold-blooded."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2011, 12:44:05 am »

Well, just calling a woman a bitch because she's a woman is a whole other ballpark. That's obviously, blatantly, and terribly offensive. It just shouldn't happen. Not that I haven't been called an asshole by complete strangers for no apparent reason before, but that wasn't because I was a man it was because, I dunno, I look like a jerk I guess? So it's not the same thing. I don't think eradicating the word would stop jerks from yelling out random insults though. It might make it less offensive for you, I'm not in a position to know that, but it's always pretty offensive when a stranger flings insults at you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2011, 01:00:37 am »

It might make it less offensive for you, I'm not in a position to know that, but it's always pretty offensive when a stranger flings insults at you.

Yeah, it'd be less offensive.  A lot less offensive.  See, if someone insults me and it's something about my character, I can say "But... what did I do?  Did I bother that person?"  And then I can think about it, and make my own decision--I can say "Oh, maybe I did something offensive," and there's an enormous host of possible interpretations, which I can think about at my leisure.  If it's about my gender, then I know what I did wrong.  I was a woman in the wrong place and the wrong time.  And that was it.

So, yeah, I don't especially like being called an asshole, jerk, pig, or any of those other things, but thank goodness: they actually denigrate something I can do something about.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2011, 01:11:05 am »

So, yeah, I don't especially like being called an asshole, jerk, pig, or any of those other things, but thank goodness: they actually denigrate something I can do something about.
I think you're underestimating the ability of people to be malicious. Like I said, I've had people throw out random insults at me. When the irate customer yells out "Hey asshole!" while I'm out cleaning the parking lot I'm not an asshole because of anything I have control over, I'm an asshole because that guy was in a bad mood and I'm in a position where he thinks he can walk all over me.

I'm not saying it wouldn't still be less offensive to you, but it can be extremely offensive regardless.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2011, 01:13:37 am »

Ah, I'm just talking about personal experience.  I think I can recall people randomly shouting "asshole" at me, too, but it wasn't quite as humiliating =/  I'm saying that, random or not, I feel a lot better when it's something I feel I have some--any--degree of control over.  Even if I really don't.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2011, 01:17:22 am »

I can absolutely agree with that. And you definitely have more control over what jobs you work (even though it doesn't always feel that way) then you have over your sex. But people can still be really hurtful without bringing sexism into the equation.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2011, 01:19:54 am »

I can absolutely agree with that. And you definitely have more control over what jobs you work (even though it doesn't always feel that way) then you have over your sex. But people can still be really hurtful without bringing sexism into the equation.

Of course, I agree.  I've been on the other side of plenty of non-sexist disparaging remarks as well, as you may have guessed, haha >_______>

Ahhh, the days when I was young and jerktacular.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2011, 01:23:26 am »

Haha! I know how that is. Sometimes I think adulthood is the shedding of all your childish jerk tendencies. At least it feels that way for me.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2011, 01:43:48 am »

And there are people who never become adults.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]