Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Determine strength of enemy?  (Read 1044 times)

adgriff2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Determine strength of enemy?
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:43:52 pm »

The adventure mode wiki says to avoid fighting a mob unless I'm pretty sure I can win... But it doesn't tell me how to tell if that's the case...

How can I tell if I'm stronger than a quest mob?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Determine strength of enemy?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 05:52:22 pm »

That's what the mud-smeared peasants you convinced to follow you with promises of treasure are for. :P
Other than that... I don't think there really is a way, other than educated guessing.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 06:25:15 pm »

Short of letting your brave but stupid companions go first, as previously stated, about all you can do is look at their description and equipment to get an idea, which may be quite vague.

If a peasant walks up to the mud titan and cuts it in half on the first shot with a boning knife, then chance are it probably wasn't very difficult.

adgriff2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 06:43:39 pm »

ty! another quick question if you guys don't mind... it's saying i have an iron 2H sword in my left hand and a shield in my right... is that correct? Am i still able to block?

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 07:26:59 pm »

Handedness is a bit bugged. You could carry 20 swords in your right hand if you wanted to, and still use a shield

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 07:39:44 pm »

Last I tried this though I don't think my shield ever got used.....

adgriff2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 07:47:54 pm »

maybe it was just luck, but shield never blocked anything... i switched to a bronze longsword i traded for and everything worked fine

The Tyrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Si non confectus, non reficiat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 09:15:01 pm »

If I recall correctly. Humans can wield 2 handed swords in one hand and a shield in the other, but they get an accuracy penalty with the sword.

Edit: which is why I personally tend to stick to longswords
Stove has created The Consequences of Biting, a legendary MSPaint engraving. It is studded with pixels, encrusted with pixels, and menaces with spikes of pixels and hanging rings of pixels. On the item is an image of SOME SERIOUS SHIT.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 09:20:49 pm »

As near as I can tell, in a character's description "very muscular" correlates to high and superior strength attributes and "incredibly muscular" correlates to superhuman/dwarven/elven strength. You probably don't want to try to charge a character described as fat, muscular, and tall. As far as skill level goes I've not found any consistent indicator of an enemy's sheer dangerousness except their title and their performance in direct combat (after which it is sometimes too late to back out).
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:57:44 pm »

I've been using Ironhand's graphics for a while, and it uses different sprites for more dangerous enemies. Example: Human swordsman. When the sprite with a helmet shows up, it is a LOT more dangerous than the helmet-less sprite. It's basically the difference between an Axedwarf and an Axe Lord in fortress mode. I can't remember right now if such descriptions are visible in adventure mode, though.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 12:41:00 pm »

^
you are also titles Axe Lord or something similar in conversations if you have a very high skill in axing enemies

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 08:06:40 am »

just look to see what armor thay have and take note if thay go i'm x killer of y and so on.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG