Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice - "Inside" vs. "Above Ground"  (Read 739 times)

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ice - "Inside" vs. "Above Ground"
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:00:51 pm »

Hi all.

So, I started my most recent fort in a freezing biome, with my sights set on an above-ground obsidian-casting megaproject later on. Now, while I was thinking about this, I realized that the water for the casting would freeze outside, so my idea was to simply build a roof over the casting area so that the squares being cast had the "Inside" property, allowing the water to remain liquid. I used the freezing method to pierce the aquifer layer, and when I was buttoning up the pit left by that method, I quickly discovered that once a square is "above ground," the fact that it's "inside" seems to do nothing to keep it from freezing. The wiki article on ice wasn't clear on this point, so I was surprised.

Has this happened to anyone else, or am I just doing something weird? Right now it's looking like my megaproject idea is a complete non-starter.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Ice - "Inside" vs. "Above Ground"
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 08:28:56 pm »

Yup. Inside/Outside has no meaning when it comes to freezing. It's all Above Ground/Subterranean.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:31:03 pm »

Yup. Inside/Outside has no meaning when it comes to freezing. It's all Above Ground/Subterranean.

Crap. Well, at least I didn't waste too much time before finding that out. I guess I'm going to try again in a desert or something...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 08:35:02 pm »

If your obsidian casting, I don't know if it would make a difference, at least if temp is on. Since when you pour the magma in, the ice will melt anyway.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 08:41:38 pm »

If your obsidian casting, I don't know if it would make a difference, at least if temp is on. Since when you pour the magma in, the ice will melt anyway.

Well, I was going to pour water onto magma, not the other way around, but either way it's not going to work if I can't make water flow above ground. I guess I could just turn temperature off, but I think I'll just bite the bullet and move to a desert.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 08:53:55 pm »

Simple. Move your casting underground. Double-points: Make your casting out of ice.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 09:44:57 pm »

Just switch from obsidian to ice. My latest fort is gonna be just that; an ice-cast castle. Only problem is it's SLOW. Bucket by bucket.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 10:37:57 pm »

Just switch from obsidian to ice. My latest fort is gonna be just that; an ice-cast castle. Only problem is it's SLOW. Bucket by bucket.
Would water flow as liquid if surrounded by a magma pipe? The 7/7 magma could be directly above and below the water pipe through constructed floors.