Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #12: Feedback v2  (Read 29439 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #12: Feedback v2
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 12:36:01 pm »

The correct answer should be "dwarven rum, whole oranges, and a tablespoon of forgotten beast extract."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 01:18:18 pm »

The correct answer should be "dwarven rum, whole oranges, and a tablespoon of forgotten beast extract."

*shudder*

My current fort has FB extract that causes severe blisters; thankfully nonfatal, and everything bigger than a cat makes a full recovery, but still...

heh. still.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 09:34:50 pm »

"Drink Quality is deffinitely going in"

Thank god.

I can't wait for my Dwarves to be sipping on masterwork booze.  I wonder if artifact booze will ever get made.

Sure, you couldn't drink it, but it's so Dwarfy

FIREWATER, THE LEGENDARY BOOZE!

This booze is made of Sunshine.  It is mixed with Dwarven Wine, Kaluha, and Diorite.  The booze menaces with spikes of adamantium.

There just *has* to be a booze made from berries and gneiss (see my sig) :)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 04:39:43 am »

I've read your sig, and I still agree with the response to said joke.

*shudder*
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 11:41:30 am »

What Toady said about unknown ends to fortresses and then about mosquitoes jigged out my memory of Paestum!  It'd be great if that sort of thing could come out of the game, one day: Paestum was a Roman settlement made at the bottom of a wooded hill.  Naturally, the Romans deforested the place to use for their hypocausts— so the rain that the trees used to soak up slid down the hill and made the place into a marsh, bringing a bunch of mosquitoes around until the town was completely wiped out by malaria.  It was discovered hundreds of years later, intact but in the middle of a swamp!  Now that sort of thing would make losing fun.
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 08:36:28 am »

i enjoyed this dftalk

the retrospective was awsome, downloading 2006 version now

beavers would be possible, but only at high ecological accuracy with a rivers rewrite. Beavers can only dam channels about a metre or two wide. All rivers in DF are about the same width (except at the spring, ive never been to a mouth, are there deltas?). Rivers would have to be rewritten so they change in width to get bigger down stream over distances. Beavers dont eat wood, they eat either plant leaves, or bark, or if they can steal, food from fields.

Most beavers dont actually build dams. They only do this when they are at population capacity within a river basin. Usually they just burrow into the banks and live in a similar fashion to aquatic badgers or large water voles. They only start building dams when no burrowing sites are left. If they cant burrow they build lodges. But they like to exit the lodges into water, so they raise the water level to where ever they can build a lodge. This is usually in very small streams high up the river system. An even here they wont normally build massive dams (although they sometimes do), but just build a dam big enough to create a pool. Beavers are vulnerable to predators out side of water, so the tend to expand their pools if they need to reach wood bark (beavers that live in colder climates are more dependant on bark).
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Tautou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 02:18:45 pm »

Awesome talk.

Maybe have the booze's base quality come from the dwarf who distilled it but then have a secondary quality - like gems, engravings, encrusting, etc - which is based on age. Urist wants to drink his dead great-great-great-granddaddydwarf's Sunshine. And get those happy thoughts.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 08:39:55 pm »

i enjoyed this dftalk

the retrospective was awsome, downloading 2006 version now

beavers would be possible, but only at high ecological accuracy with a rivers rewrite. Beavers can only dam channels about a metre or two wide. All rivers in DF are about the same width (except at the spring, ive never been to a mouth, are there deltas?). Rivers would have to be rewritten so they change in width to get bigger down stream over distances. Beavers dont eat wood, they eat either plant leaves, or bark, or if they can steal, food from fields.

Most beavers dont actually build dams. They only do this when they are at population capacity within a river basin. Usually they just burrow into the banks and live in a similar fashion to aquatic badgers or large water voles. They only start building dams when no burrowing sites are left. If they cant burrow they build lodges. But they like to exit the lodges into water, so they raise the water level to where ever they can build a lodge. This is usually in very small streams high up the river system. An even here they wont normally build massive dams (although they sometimes do), but just build a dam big enough to create a pool. Beavers are vulnerable to predators out side of water, so the tend to expand their pools if they need to reach wood bark (beavers that live in colder climates are more dependant on bark).

Actually, rivers in DF do get bigger. I'm on a major river right now ~44 tiles across. The trickier bit will be the aforementioned flooding. I don't know much about how long a given lodge lasts, whether that kind of thing would be something that could be established during worldgen that creates beaver sites and makes some of them create little pools next to the river. I suspect that will come after Toady figures out how to get regular floods going in rivers.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 02:13:56 am »

Huzzah for setting it up in iTunes! I like to listen to the talks multiple times (pretty info dense), and its most convenient to have it on my portable music playing device. Having to download them to my machine, fire up iTunes, pull the file in, clean up the ID3 tags, and then finally get it loaded; only have it show up in my music list and not the podcast list... kinda sucked.

The ability to download straight on my iTouch and display with all my other podcasts? Awesome.
Pages: 1 2 [3]