Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Egg Fortress  (Read 736 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Egg Fortress
« on: April 01, 2011, 04:04:19 pm »

Has anyone tried raising a fortress exclusively on egg-laying animals yet? They seem to produce massive amounts of food. Or would the fps death come too quickly? Is there a way to prevent that (1X1 room with an animal and a nest box)?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Egg Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:07:47 pm »

At first, I thought this was building a fort in the shape of an egg. Mmm, magma yolk.

EDIT:
Another thought, using eggs as bricks. Talk abut a nest egg.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:07:32 pm by Itnetlolor »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Egg Fortress
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:40:27 pm »

I have run several fortresses where the vast majority of the food was from eggs, although I did run farms for booze and thread and produced some dwarven syrup, and also butchered every non-pet tame animal that came with immigrants, so I wasn't running exclusively off eggs.  Didn't have any FPS problems.  I created a large indoor pasture zone which had several dozen nest boxes in it and assigned all the egg-laying animals to it, they stayed there out of the way.

My current project involves magic geese modded to lay various blocks, stones, metal ore, and gems.  If things go according to plan, I'll be building an aboveground fortress entirely out of what they lay.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.