Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it normal for aquifers to empty into caverns?  (Read 973 times)

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it normal for aquifers to empty into caverns?
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:37:36 pm »

I embarked on a flat badlands area, and the top layer of stone was a conglomerate zone about four z-levels deep. Having minerals cranked up to pretty high levels, I had no trouble finding veins of non-aquifer stone to dig through, but it was pretty laggy. Upon breaching the first cavern, I found out why!

There was conglomerate lining much of the walls of the cavern, but the strange thing was that only some of the conglomerate was producing water. There were natural waterfalls every twenty spaces or so on average, with some clumping here and there. If it weren't for the lag, I might keep that map. As it was, however, the incredible amount of flow calculation going on while the water fell and leaked off the edges was just too irritating. Playable, but irritating.

Is this normal? The only reason I can think for this happening is the fact I altered the world generation to have only one layer between the surface and the first cavern.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: Is it normal for aquifers to empty into caverns?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 08:42:22 pm »

I think that the typical world generation would make it so that the first cavern is much deeper than any layer which possesses an aquifer, so yea, it's most likely due to your world gen alterations.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Is it normal for aquifers to empty into caverns?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:44:10 pm »

I would love to see screenshots. This is too awesome to miss.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!