Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About tree farming...  (Read 1079 times)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About tree farming...
« on: April 01, 2011, 11:20:20 am »

So for once: How do I get trees to grow everywhere? After updating to .24 and getting rid of the ramp (and presumably sapling) eating muddy moss bug I imagined my tree farms would start to work nicely. And sure, now there are saplings everywhere... Now the problem is that most of those sapling seem to disappear before growing into trees. Why?

They aren't being trampled on, and the only places where I'm seeing any dead saplings are those where web collecting weavers have access to. Could it be those damn shrubs that take up all the space also killing existing saplings by growing on them, or are randomly disappearing saplings just intended behaviour?

Seeing those things just go poof is especially frustrating when I'm starting a project that requires some 20k of pearlash.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: About tree farming...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 11:23:37 am »

Crystal glass megaproject, huh?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:29:56 am »

Nah, just making a sun. Regular glass.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:32:58 am »

I read that other plants can make less space for trees. Haven't heard that they can overtake a sapling though. Have a herbalist or two go full time in the tree zone to make space.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 12:10:07 pm »

I read that other plants can make less space for trees. Haven't heard that they can overtake a sapling though. Have a herbalist or two go full time in the tree zone to make space.
Just started doing this along with marking all saplings in a shrub-eradication areas with restricted traffic zones, which besides stopping them from getting trampled makes observing the disappearing saplings a bit more sciency.

So, it doesn't seem shrubs are the culprit. I've seen a few marked sapling disappear and the tiles they used to be on now have sparse cave moss.

The good news is that this doesn't happen that often, the bad news it that since trees take about a year to grow, it doesn't need to to be annoying.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 12:12:14 pm »

I generally use a river or aquifer to flood an entire z-level or two, then drain it with bridges. This gives you at least 2 entire z-levels of trees. Be sure to wall them off with forbidden doors so that your pathfinding doesn't go crazy.

Trees take 1.5 years to grow, so be patient. Strangely, they do not require sunlight.

You might have to discover the caverns before they'll grow. Not sure if that's still true since 40d.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:13:55 pm »

Im almost sure that tress on soil will only grow adjacent to walls, be it below or the sides (not above tough).

Im almost sure they will grow everywhere on muddy rock, not tested tough, they could be growing near walls and i did not noticed

If what i stated is corret them you still can do this:

Code: [Select]
SSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
SSWSSWSSWSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
SSWSSWSSWSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
SSWSSWSSWSS
where S is Space and W is Wall, maybe less depending on how they consider if they are close to a wall on the floor below, so you could take advantage of that too

btw, my soil tree farm is the whole map wide - my fort(it is reverse-tower shaped, so i can take advantage of the Z and use a lot less X and Y)

You might have to discover the caverns before they'll grow. Not sure if that's still true since 40d.

My tree farm grew before i breeched the caverns, however i used dfhacks to reveal everything to find the magma pool and them un-revealed everything to not get owned by demons, that might have caused the fact that the trees would grow before finding the caverns
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:16:50 pm by Guedez »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:21:27 pm »

Easy way is to mine out and flood an entire Z level. You will need to move away the stone/ore so the tree can grow there, and this may entail a large amount of hauling.

Wait about a year, and by then you will have an unlimited supply of lumber. Just send in the woodcutters and herbalists and clear out the entire area every year or so.

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:05:50 pm »

Just started doing this along with marking all saplings in a shrub-eradication areas with restricted traffic zones, which besides stopping them from getting trampled makes observing the disappearing saplings a bit more sciency.
I'll be looking forward to the Mythbusters Dwarf Fortress Special.+

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 01:16:03 pm »

I can confirm this is still true. I think you get more tree types after breaching lower caverns? Maybe this improves rate or growth, but probably just increases diversity.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 01:17:50 pm »

Easy way is to mine out and flood an entire Z level. You will need to move away the stone/ore so the tree can grow there, and this may entail a large amount of hauling.
Solution : above ground or cavern mega-construction. They haul the stone and do something with it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 02:52:01 pm »

I think the grass is eating the saplings themselves. Maybe Toady only fixed the ramps.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 03:02:39 pm »

It's starting to look kind of bad. I think I've been keeping count about a season now by marking saplings with restricted zone and disappeared sapling with low-traffic. I'd say at least fifth of the marked tiles are for disappeared saplings right now - might sound bearable, but, like said, the saplings need over a year to grow into trees and at this pace few of them will make it before vanishing (and then be replaced by new saplings that also won't make it).

More importantly there are very few actual trees around. So unless the sapling have just become 'hidden' and still are growing in there, my muddied underground and cavern tree farms are pretty much fucked. I'll start focusing on dug out soil next and hope this only has to do with muddied rock floor...

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 03:07:16 pm »

I think the grass is eating the saplings themselves. Maybe Toady only fixed the ramps.
What happens if you delete the raws for the underground grasses?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 03:44:39 pm »

Solution : above ground or cavern mega-construction. They haul the stone and do something with it.

I of course use all of the stone, ore, and gems from the excavation, it just takes a good bit of hauling to clear away the the area for lumber growing.