Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elkbirds? In MY forest?!  (Read 436 times)

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elkbirds? In MY forest?!
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:02:11 pm »

Using the latest game version, I embarked on a region straddling a haunted conifer forest, a calm mountain range, a brook, a volcano, and a sinister shrubland.

Upon embark, I'm greeted to 30-40 UNDERGROUND CREATURES milling about a stone's throw away from my wagon. Luckily, the dogs keep scaring them off, but I was rather perplexed to see two dozen elkbirds and clutches of naked mole dogs, large rats, giant rats, and helmet snakes just sitting on the surface - with no entrances to the caverns, no caves, and no cave-ins on embark (oh, I checked).
The silver is responsible for this How?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Elkbirds? In MY forest?!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:05:28 pm »

I sure hope you killed all of them eventually, preferably with marksdwarves for easy skill-ups.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:06:27 pm »

Lucky you.  :P I've yet to see anything but a few trogs and naked mole dogs in mine. And one GCS once. I wish he would come back now that I have a trap rig set up.
Memento Mori

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 04:46:05 pm »

I was planning an en masse slaughter, but a pair (YES TWO) of skeletal deer showed up and ANNIHILATED EVERY LAST DOG I HAD.

And I had over a dozen. All trained.

I retreated into the bowels of the mountain...

Strategic cage traps are now ensnaring the wandering beasts as I wait for the first dwarven trade wagon.
The silver is responsible for this How?