Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dehydration Nation  (Read 1341 times)

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: Dehydration Nation
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 06:59:18 am »

Do you have only one type of alcohol? If so, your dwarves may just be sick of drinking only that. I think when that happens, they won't drink it any more.

Dwarves are surprisingly stubborn little creatures.
Total load of bollocks. As BurnedToast said, they'll drink it but get an unhappy thought, and nothing more than that. I had test saves to prove or disprove this oft-repeated pish and it didn't matter if my dwarves were drinking plump helmet wine or dwarven ale or whatever for 5 years, 10 years, 20 years...the ones who had a preference for the drink never once complained (far from it, they always got happy thoughts about drinking it because they like it) and the ones who didn't have a preference for it moaned after drinking it 5 times in succession (takes around a season) but would always continue to drink it for years to come and just get an unhappy thought about drinking the same old booze. The same principle applies to food.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 07:30:49 am »

I put a different stockpile next to each still that accepts only one plant type, so I can ensure I have at least two types of booze being produced. I usually make dwarven rum and dwarven beer.

Dwarven rum is the one I make least often.  It's made from sweet pods, which, in addition to being growable only in certain seasons, are also in high demand for dwarven syrup (5x food quantity multiplier, like quarry bush leaves), and sometimes get ground into dwarven sugar at the quern.

I typically disable brewing sweet pods in the Kitchen menu, but I don't know of any ways (other than tedious stockpile/burrow layout work) to prevent them from being ground into sugar, so I just shrug it off when it happens.

I use surface plants for my booze variety.  In a typical biome, I'll end up with plots growing wild strawberries (not exactly "wild", are they, if I'm growing them?), prickle berries, and fisher berries for booze production.  Those augment the inevitable gallons and gallons of dwarven wine (from plump helmets).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 07:51:14 am »

I had see dwarves drinking from the well even with plenty of booze on the stockpiles. I suspect something must changed, or a bug is in course.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 10:29:10 am »

A still will grab the closest plant to it going by X and Y, but not Z. By strategically organizing your plant stockpiles you can determine what kind of plant each still brews.

I have the stockpiles for crops I grow further away from the stills than the imported/gathered plant stockpile for plants I do not grow. Then I have the plants I want to brew on a regular basis, such as sweet pods or cave wheat, and plump helmets are the most distant, so brewing wine is the lowest priority.
Pages: 1 [2]