Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megaproject Help  (Read 1254 times)

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megaproject Help
« on: April 02, 2011, 10:38:12 am »

Hi all , am currently on my first attempt at a megaproject. Trying to construct a pure marble execution tower . Is there an easier way to designate the construction blocks? Also, anyone has any ideas to add to this tower or even a side project to help it along.

Btw , how do i post a picture?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Megaproject Help
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:00:00 am »

I take it you have the builders sealing themselves outside? Simple solution, build outer corners first, then inner, then the walls. Another bit of advice, use scaffolding (Up/Down staircases); it'll speed up your building rate (different material, of course). Deconstruct the scaffolding from top to bottom, not the other way around.

I am hoping you're not building 1 block at a time, because you can extend as far as from 1x1 to 10x10.

Oh yeah, I also noticed that materials for building are based on proximity, dump all the marble right at the site itself, and then reclaim them. As for the designations, highlight the material to use and then hit shift+enter. It should be visible in the material designation menu.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:04:47 am by Itnetlolor »

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 12:12:16 pm »

Thanks but i dont have dorfs sealing themselves outside(^_^). Im building a diamond shaped tower and have trouble designating all 10 z-levels on it . Is there a macro or sumthing?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 12:14:52 pm »

Unfortunately, I think you're stuck doing it the long way. QuickFort may help maybe.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 12:48:02 pm »

Thanks but i dont have dorfs sealing themselves outside(^_^). Im building a diamond shaped tower and have trouble designating all 10 z-levels on it . Is there a macro or sumthing?

You could record one yourself if they're all meant to be identical.

I've unfortunately lost my old macro collection from back in .16, though that was primarily focused on Circles, Spheres, Towers, Helical Ramp structures to the Magma Sea at the Center of the embark...

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 04:35:39 am »

How do you record a macro? I tried using the ";" movie function but all it does is play back that few frames...

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 06:14:02 am »

I think it was ctrl+r to record the macro, ctrl+p to play the macro, ctrl+s to save the macro and ctrl+l to load a saved macro.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."