Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zinc totally unavailable?  (Read 1336 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Zinc totally unavailable?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 04:14:17 am »

Alternatively, fuck all that, catch a few wild animals, and put them in a sealed room with your noble.

Come on.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 05:33:04 am »

Make a really nice jail. Stock it with the finest food and drink your fort has to offer. Don't forget the beds!

Tell the dwarf who gets locked up he's going on vacation for the next 1 - 6 months. The rope is just there to ensure he gets full enjoyment out of his vacation and does not try to go back to work early.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 05:59:47 am »

Give your captain of guard adamantine hammer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 03:04:22 pm »

Buy a metal from the dwarves with the same price as zinc. Then edit an existing reaction to convert it into the same quantity of zinc. It's kind of a cheat but not one to lose sleep over.

I don't suppose there's any way to mod the world files so that my dwarf civ just "HAS_ZINC?", is there?

The humans don't have any either.

I really wish Toady would add some code that nobles can't request items that are just physically impossible to make in the current world. I'd even accept continued requests for adamantine I haven't found, as long as they stuck to mats that are available _somewhere_.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 03:33:43 pm »

If you're willing to Mod, pick a reaction you don't use that's already in your world, & change it so it produces a product made of zinc.

Lignite to Coke might be good for this since it's only a worthwhile reaction if you've got magma-smelters & need the coke for steel production, & if you're using Lignite you presumably don't have Bituminous, so mod that instead.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 04:05:51 pm »

Give your captain of guard adamantine hammer.
A whiffle bat?

Why would you give the captain of the guard a whiffle bat...

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 04:08:12 pm »

So his hammering doesn't hurt anyone.
Memento Mori

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 07:12:45 pm »

Last time I played, way back in the days of 40d (with my massive skeletal fish aquarium project), adamantine hammers weren't exactly wiffle bats. Might as well hire Jason to be your captain of the guard, and Freddy Kreuger as the head of the royal guard. Actually, the later wouldn't be a bad idea...

Anyways, the simplest, legit solution to your problem? One lever. one spike trap. Or, alternately: one wild Large_Predator in a cage in the noble's room. One Lever. The first noble is always the hardest...
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 07:20:55 pm »

Last time I played, way back in the days of 40d (with my massive skeletal fish aquarium project), adamantine hammers weren't exactly wiffle bats. Might as well hire Jason to be your captain of the guard, and Freddy Kreuger as the head of the royal guard. Actually, the later wouldn't be a bad idea...

Anyways, the simplest, legit solution to your problem? One lever. one spike trap. Or, alternately: one wild Large_Predator in a cage in the noble's room. One Lever. The first noble is always the hardest...
They pretty much are now. It's a bit of an exaggeration; I mean, it's not totally harmless, but it's still pretty weak. The combat calculations far, far prefer heavy blunt weapons over high quality blunt weapons. Adamantine is extremely light, making it pretty ineffective on a blunt weapon. Platinum, on the other hand, is just dandy.
Pages: 1 [2]