Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Woes  (Read 926 times)

Ashesofempires

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Military Woes
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:48:34 pm »

I've been trying to get an army worthy of the name, but it seems like no matter what i do, they never advance much beyond dabbling or novice in whatever they are training, until i start getting sieges that last past my trap corridor. Also, the one instance i had where my military was up to about 30 dwarves (10 squads of 3), they all immediately started fucking off in this giant cluster of armor trading. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I made some new armor, and dwarf A decided his superior quality bronze breastplate wasn't as good as this other one, and took his off, dumped it in a stockpile, and then went to grab another BP. immediately afterward, another dwarf did the same thing. It ended up that all but the few i had assigned specific gear to, were basically swapping bits of armor for no real reason. They weren't upgrading from junk to masterwork, in most cases they were grabbing the same quality they already had, or in a few cases downgrading.

Also, they don't seem to spar but rarely, mainly I see lots of "waiting for X demonstration" or "organizing demo" or whatnot, with a lot of indifividual drills intermingled.

My barracks is basically a 12x12 room with some weapon racks in it. I have another set of rooms where they can sleep, with enough beds for 40 dwarves. I have them on 2 month on, 1 month off rotations. They all have a training barracks assigned. I can't think of anything i'm doing wrong, but it doesn't seem like i ever get any of them to actually train. They basically stand around for 2 months, and then go stand around in the dining hall for a month. I'm sorely tempted to just runeforge their stats to something like what it should be after 12 years or so of combat training...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Military Woes
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:50:09 pm »

Danger room.

Upright training spears, linked to a lever. Pull lever on repeat while your soldiers are standing on the spears. Watch them shoot to legendary.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:53:49 pm »

I can't wait until we can make a military that doesn't require training by Charles Xavier. :|
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:55:58 pm »

Honestly, if they weren't so absurdly effective, we'd all be using them between arena matches.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:58:05 pm »

Try putting your dwarves in even-numbered squads. Giving them some unarmed goblins to get them up to novice helps too. In about 5 years I have about 8 heros.
Memento Mori

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 10:58:20 pm »

How many are you requiring to train at the same time? Personally, I've found it incredibly efficient to have a two dwarf training squad, requiring (of course) two dwarves minimum to be active. They literally trained even while one or the other was asleep - I had at least two instances of one of them taking a nap while the other practiced headshots. Of course, the skill gain may have been bolstered by the fact that one of them came onto the map already an Adept Speardwarf, with similar relatively high dodging skills and the like. They spent the first little while teaching each other skills that the other was of a lower rank in, then started sparring fairly quickly.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:15:47 pm »

I usually embark with a militia commander geared leader with teaching skills, like for instance an axe dwarf with armor use and shield user, and lets say proficient teacher(and misc. object user) he he . It might take four or five years give or take before you train up some militia. I activily train them for three months at a time, with a month off. 
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:19:21 pm »

- Make sure that you have armor set to "replace"
- Make sure that in the schedule you have "off-duty = uniformed"

I like to run with squads of 5, with training schedule year-round of 3+ dwarves.  My dwarves advance reasonably rapidly and the smaller squads aren't too small to be a right PITA and not too large to be a mob.

But I'm also a big fan of static layered defenses and the ability to hide behind multiple retracted bridges or drawbridges.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:06:19 am »

I use squads of 10 with 7 set to train (scale for approximate proportions), set to active/training. Small barracks around an armor stand in a key location containing weapon and armor stockpiles aside from the major armor/weapons stockpiles.  Usually 7+ years in of regular training and combat (no danger room, some prisoner disposal) I usually have 10 leet legendaries killing anything in their way.  So what broken training?  Just don't expect the dwarves to become ninjas in a year.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?