Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin ambush  (Read 707 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin ambush
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:11:35 am »

I started a little fortress out in the deserts. It's been doing pretty well so far until recently. Some human merchants came to trade and then goblins amushed the fortress. All the humans were killed. The trading Depot is set between two bridges, one of which colapses when a lever is pulled, the other of which is set to colapse when a non-citizen crosses over it. I pull the lever, killing a goblin, and after the goblins killed the humans they ran across the bridge. Several fell and were inujured but they all missed the bronze spears at the bottom. So right now I've got a dozen goblins trapped between a bridge and my locked doors. I want to know will the goblins starve/dehydrate? How long will it be before the humans send a force to retaliate for the merchants?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin ambush
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:16:03 am »

im sure the humans will not seige you for one lost caravan and i dont thibk the gobbos will starve get some marksdwarfs and turn them into target pratice.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:24:49 am »

Goblins started flipping shit, so to speak, and running around randomly. Every once in awhile they'll trigger the bridge and somebody will fall into the pit.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:50:03 pm »

I can confirm that they won't starve and the humans shouldn't siege you for one lost caravan. I think they need to lose at least two or you need to kill a diplomat or two.

Anyway, archers standing on the edge of a pit can shoot down into it. If you have no archers, just make 10 crossbows, make a ton of bone bolts (or whatever is plentiful) and move the archers over to the edge of the pit. Eventually the goblins will all be dead.

As for the bridge, I'm not sure of the easiest way but you might try walling off the area and putting up a door that's locked until you can fix the issue.....

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:58:28 pm »

The goblins all ran back across the larger bridge, which I manually raised and then lowered. The wounded goblins all died and the healty ones can barely move. My Speardwarf milita ran out to finish them off. I guess the Goblin AI got bored and tried to retreat but couldn't, so they just started running around: this triggered the spike-trap bridge and several died and were seriously wounded. I guess Goblins have ADHD.