Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question on steel production  (Read 1115 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question on steel production
« on: March 28, 2011, 02:11:03 am »

I did a quick search of both the wiki and these forums, but failed to find an answer to my question.  Unfortunately, I fear this means the answer is, "no". ;(

Can you use flux blocks as an ingredient in the production of pig iron and steel?  I'm being told my my metalworker that he can't, but it is quite possible I'm just doing something wrong so I thought I'd ask.

I have not yet identified a flux stone location on my embark, although there is supposed to be some.  I've barely scratched the surface of the site so far, so it is probably at least 10 z-levels down with my luck.  On my second autumn the dwarven caravan was kind enough to bring a pair of dolomite blocks.  I snatched them up (while robbing them blind by accepting the 9500 urists for about 75 low quality rock figurines) with the idea of using them to make a pair of steel bars to "properly" arm my 8 man dwarf military (grabbed a couple other low priced steel items to melt, so I'll get at least some steel this winter).  I concluded the trade session, and set up the manager's orders for one pig iron bar and one steel bar ... only to be told "Sorry, bub.  We need flux stone for those!"

So, has anyone gotten flux stone blocks to work for the process?  I'm running a .24 fortress, if it matters.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: question on steel production
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 02:19:11 am »

You can't use blocks of flux stone in steel production.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 02:24:59 am »

Blocks are usable only in constructions and buildings, that is, anything from the Workshop or Construction menus, or bridges and roads. Some buildings require blocks specifically, such as wells and screw pumps. They are never used as workshop ingredients.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 02:26:29 am »

You can't use blocks of flux stone in steel production.
Thank you.  I was afraid that would be the answer.  Oh well, iron weapons should work well enough for now. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 05:00:14 am »

I found my firt source of flux at about 15z levels down. It can be pretty far down.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:36:48 am »

Flux comes in two flavors: sedimentary (dolomite, chalk) and metamorphic (marble). Good rule of thumb is this: if your site finder says you have flux and it *isn't* your top layer, it'll be deep. Like, Magma Sea go-colonize-the-third-cavern-layer deep.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:43:09 am »

You can mod microline os some other useless stone to be used as flux. You don't need a new world for it to work, as long as you update the RAWS in yoir save file.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:50:05 am »

Flux comes in two flavors: sedimentary (dolomite, chalk) and metamorphic (marble). Good rule of thumb is this: if your site finder says you have flux and it *isn't* your top layer, it'll be deep. Like, Magma Sea go-colonize-the-third-cavern-layer deep.

Oh, not that deep. The depth you described is known as igneous layers, so all you get there is granite and diobrandite... metamorphic is much higher up.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 09:52:38 am »

Oh you can't use blocks? Good that I know this before I started my rock stockpile plans.

Also, I have the flux aplenty just no iron.  :-X

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 10:04:49 am »

I was in the opposite position, plenty of iron and not a single flux. After a while with some very steel focused dwarf trading I got my 60 full steel suits ready to roll. It is technically the year 270 now though.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 10:05:07 am »

Oh, not that deep. The depth you described is known as igneous layers, so all you get there is granite and diobrandite... metamorphic is much higher up.

You seem to be applying a bit too much realism to DF.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 10:18:36 am »

Well, most often the rock surrounding the magma sea IS igneous... gabbro, granite, diorite, etc.

Though I see gabbro at nonsensical depths. Gabbro is supposed to be a deep rock, not at the surface !