Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advanced Parameters - Flat Land  (Read 3574 times)

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advanced Parameters - Flat Land
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:01:34 am »

I'm looking for a LEVEL area, with a volcano (I like building an above ground stronghold to fight off the above-ground enemies).   What are the best parameters for the world gen? It's RARE if I stumble upon one, but it's been done.

Also, on a side note .... if you get a ton of rejects when a world is generating, and just IGNORE the rejects ... does that affect the game play?  For example, if you get an error that no high elevations could be produced, and you choose to ignore the warning ... does it produce a flat land, but game play is still good?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Parameters - Flat Land
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:05:42 am »

You want a volcano on top of a flat plain?
Just set minimal volcano levels to some very high nu,ber (10000 or so) and you will get this.

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:09:55 am »

There's "minimum volcanism" and "maximum volcanism"  .... but minimum only goes up to 100. Is that what you are talking about?

Then there is "minimum number of [Low-Mid-High] volcanism" options...

Slugman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:13:59 am »

There is another parameter to determine the minimum number of volcanos on the map. That's most likely what he was refering to as raising minimum / maximum volcanism doesn't seem to have much of an impact when creating worlds.

Edit: Apart from that you may want to temper with the parameters determining elevation levels. I think there will be no mountains below a maximum value of 300 which unfortunately also means no dwarven civs because they only settle in mountainous areas. And you could also create some forced lowlands by fooling around with the elevation mesh size values.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:21:08 am by Slugman »

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:28:48 am »

I raised the "minimum volcano number to 16" ... which seems to be a good number for a pocket sized world (17x17). That number doesn't get fail the world gen process.

What do I do with the elevation mesh options?

There is ...

Elevation Mesh Size ...................... Option seem to be "Ignore" or "2x2"... What do I do here???
Elevation Weighted Ranged (0-20)  .............. assuming set this high, to create lower lands
Elevation Weighted Ranged (20-40)
Elevation Weighted Ranged (40-60)
Elevation Weighted Ranged (60-80)
Elevation Weighted Ranged (80-100) ......... assuming set this low to get rid of mountains.

Is that right?

mimmfantry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:46:05 am »

you could also try bumping your erosion numbers way up to see if it will flatten the land out

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:20:18 am »

Tried all these suggestions ... and it just doesn't seem like something that is too easy to stumble upon. Oh well, you can't have it all. 

Slugman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:38:57 am »

I'm not too sure about the effects of the elevation mesh size (and similar parameters) myself but I believe it creates some forced zones all over the map shaped by the 5 entries. In a previous version of DF I created a whole lot of circle shaped swamplands that way. Although I just wanted some forests for the elves to live in my desert world...
Anyway, the first entry seems to determine the size of said areas. I also believe that the elevation mesh size is a parameter meant for larger worlds. Therefore you most likely won't see any changes when creating a pocket plane.

Since you create small worlds I suggest you raise the minimum elevation to 100 (meaning that there will be no oceans at all), maybe lower the maximum elevation to 350 or something and turn off forced oceans on the edge of the map. Also don't forget to delete all those nasty quality entries that cause world rejection - minimum forest tiles and the like. After that just create a couple of worlds until you find a suitable one. Your worlds might lack some civs though because there won't be guaranteed forests, etc. Keep that in mind.

I also suggest to create small worlds instead of pocket planes because those are somewhat better suited to customization.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 03:40:22 pm »

Maximum variation for elevation and volcanism with 150+ volcanos required works for me, I churn out sites like that in every world I gen.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:24:17 pm »

Try upping the amount of rivers and streams. Rivers and streams cause flat volcanoes if the volcano is RIGHT NEXT to the stream/river.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 06:31:25 pm »

The simple way to get easy access to magma is to set the cavern level value to 1. That done, you only need to dig down about 15 to hit magma.

EDIT: You can also set caverns to 0, if you don't mind embarking without booze and never being able to grow plump helmets
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:33:53 pm by RTiger »

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 10:47:58 pm »

Since you create small worlds I suggest you raise the minimum elevation to 100 (meaning that there will be no oceans at all), maybe lower the maximum elevation to 350 or something and turn off forced oceans on the edge of the map. Also don't forget to delete all those nasty quality entries that cause world rejection - minimum forest tiles and the like. After that just create a couple of worlds until you find a suitable one. Your worlds might lack some civs though because there won't be guaranteed forests, etc. Keep that in mind.

Great idea. Definitely got rid of the oceans. Was wondering how to do that...

Maximum variation for elevation and volcanism with 150+ volcanos required works for me, I churn out sites like that in every world I gen.

You mean Elevation X-Variance and Elevation Y-Variance???
150 volcanos? what size worlds are you creating?

Try upping the amount of rivers and streams. Rivers and streams cause flat volcanoes if the volcano is RIGHT NEXT to the stream/river.

Which value is that? The "Desired River Start Locations" option?

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 10:56:50 pm »

You can keep oceans if you have min elevation at 99, and you can set max elevation to 300.

I found making elevation variance very low was the best way to have flat land over an embark area (since you can have high elevation and flatland simply need uniform elevation), and any variance below 75 results in massive rejects.

Also I gen a small region (32x32?), with min volcanism at 50 [needed for higher volcano numbers] & 50 volcanoes @ max volcanism variance (to gen volcanoes anywhere).

But it is still rather hit and miss, once the releases slow down a bit and I have time I want to try the many rivers method so the volcanos don't make peaks.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.