Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: preparing to download for the bugtracker?  (Read 561 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
preparing to download for the bugtracker?
« on: March 28, 2011, 06:44:57 pm »

I posted a bug on the bugtracker, and was requested to upload the save.  The problem is I've never uploaded anything at all, ever.

Which files are needed for this, and is there anything I need to do before uploading it?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: preparing to download for the bugtracker?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:55:30 pm »

The save file is located in data/save.  By default it's named Region1, Region2, Region3, or what have you. If you only have one world, it's likely the only region folder.  The "current" folder is just where the game stores in play data, and isn't what you want in this case.

And then you want to zip or rar the folder.  Which is done with a compression program that has the added bonus of making that entire folder full of hundreds of files into one file.  The compressing the file size isn't the main thing in this case, although it is quite handy, it's the making that entire folder into one file that's important. 

I use winRAR for that myself, but it guilts me everytime I run it after a certain point although you can continue using it, it has shady legality past that point.  It's supposed to be something like trialware, it just doesn't disable the program after time's up.   Somebody else may have a better less guilt trippy option.

And then you upload the .rar or .zip file to the bugged saves section of the Dwarf Fortress File Depot (http://dffd.wimbli.com/) and make a comment in the bug report with a link to the file.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:01:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:01:20 pm »

And then you want to zip or rar the file.  Which is done with a compression program that has the added bonus of making that entire folder full of hundreds of files into one file.  The compressing the file size isn't the main thing in this case, although it is quite handy, it's the making that entire folder into one file that's important. 

I use winRAR for that myself, but it guilts me everytime I run it after a certain point although you can continue using it, it has shady legality past that point.  It's supposed to be something like trialware, it just doesn't disable the program after time's up.   Somebody else may have a better less guilt trippy option.

7-Zip is open source software; perpetually free, easy to use, and works in Windows 7 / Vista / XP / 2008 / 2003 / 2000 / NT / ME / 98.  It's native 7z format is fractionally smaller than a standard .ZIP file, but less compatible; use the standard .ZIP format option for best results. 

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:08:06 pm »

Thanks.  Now, how do I copy the Region1 file, so I can still use it?  Minor bug, so the game's still playable.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 08:04:04 pm »

Right click the folder, on the menu that comes up hit copy.  And then right click again anyplace in the save folder and click paste.  it should automagically make a copy of it. with something like "-copy" added to the end of the name.

You can rename it whatever you want, DF can still find it.  In fact DF will even display the folder name when you load the save so you can make sure you run the correct copy.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:07:39 pm »

Thanks again.

Also, that's the first time ever that I got copy/paste to work with a file or folder.  I must have been doing something wrong all these years  :P

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 08:13:04 pm »

Hehe windows can be a fickle beast.  And happy to help.