Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wow! above ground farming is WAY more fun!  (Read 11633 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Wow! above ground farming is WAY more fun!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 12:38:03 pm »

Use stockpiles.  Place microcline stockpile right by your mason shop(s) and you'll get microcline blocks in a hurry.  You may get one stay block, as the dwarf seems to grab the one closest to him, not closest to the shop, but after that stray they should all be from the nearest stockpile.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 12:42:46 pm »

Just make it all into blocks. Then build a stockpile of the rock type you want to build out of next to the construction site, and disallow that rock type in other bar/block stockpiles.

You'll get some randomly colored blocks but generally there will be one dominant stone type, which is the main layer your fortress is dug into. To make things look uniform build them all out of that rock type.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 01:37:20 pm »

Although that could be an exploit. After all, it's not realistic or anything. (not that I don't do it. Just that some people consider it an exploit.)
not if you floor it over with glass it aint.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 02:32:27 pm »

Use stockpiles.  Place microcline stockpile right by your mason shop(s) and you'll get microcline blocks in a hurry.  You may get one stay block, as the dwarf seems to grab the one closest to him, not closest to the shop, but after that stray they should all be from the nearest stockpile.
Agreed. This works in most all stoneworking applications. I also do this with ceramics, to ensure that as much as possible I use the right sort of clay in my constructions. Dammit, I want more fire clay.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 02:36:02 pm »

I remember my first dragon attack, in 40d.  The dragon tore up all the grates over my groundlevel-1 farming areas, fried the crops, and then went on to fry the Dwarves who came to see what all the noise was about.   :o
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 02:52:48 pm »

I prefer extensive aboveground farms because it gives me a place to use the thousands of stones I end up with (I tend to make massive towers over my farms, just for fun).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 03:05:28 pm »

Don't fisher berries have the same value as wild strawberries? If I recall correctly, it's prickle berries that are worth less than the other berries.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 03:19:49 pm »

It's prickle berries that are worth less than the other berries.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 [2]