Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary crafter making no quality weapons  (Read 903 times)

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary crafter making no quality weapons
« on: March 27, 2011, 11:13:02 am »

So I've finally got my weaponsmith to legendary, time to start making adamantine!  Except for some reason he's making silver hammers from no quality all the way to masterwork.  I had this before when a dwarf was made blind by an FB extract but as far as I can see he has no health issues.  I've kept a close eye on him and it's definitely the legendary crafter making the hammers.  I'm not using therapist but he won't be a +5 legendary crafter yet but I thought once someone is legendary they only make exceptional/masterwork items?  Playing on a 31.22 save imported to 31.23.  Haven't seen a note of this in the .24 notes so I guess it's not been fixed if it is actually a bug.

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this? 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary crafter making no quality weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 11:17:58 am »

That's strange. It seems that recently, my dwarves start spamming masterworks and exceptional stuff much faster and earlier. Maybe his personality is causing problems? IIRC Toady added some code for character traits affecting quality when he fixed custom reactions' quality. brb, lemme dig up the quote.

EDIT:
Quote from: devlog, 3/22/2011
•Changed how skills are applied to job products -- attributes are accounted for properly and skills should work in adv mode now, but you'll notice a different distribution of qualities in the final product, especially for no/low skill when differing attributes are involved

This may be the problem, but I'm not entirely sure.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:20:02 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 12:29:04 pm »

He's maybe magically stopped doing it now...not sure.  It seemed pretty regular when he became legendary but maybe his traits made him need to be legendary +1 or whatever.  Checked my other crafters and they seemed fine making exceptional/masterwork roasts, glass, clay, bone, stone items.

He likes to try new things and is disorganised.  Very good focus and way with words but meager kinesthetic sense, questionable spatial sense and very bad analytical abilities.  Not sure if any of them sound like they'd affect crafting things but who knows.  I sort of skimmed that update as it mentioned adventure mode but that sounds like it could be the cause.

Tapeworm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 12:32:51 pm »

Was your crafter hungry, tired or thirsty while he was making the low-quality items? Working while under any one of those statuses will reduce working speed and product quality.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 12:49:50 pm »

Bugger just breached HFS so that's the end of that fort.  He did just make masterwork to no quality adamantine axes though out of a sample of four, I've never really noticed stuff like this happen before and I'm sure my crafters must have been working while tired, hungry or thirsty.  I usually wait for legendary crafters before using adamantine and I can't say I remember getting anything than exceptional/masterwork items out of them before and they must have been working while under one of those states before.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 12:52:38 pm »

Legendary dwarves guarantee(d) superior quality or higher goods.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 01:17:20 pm »

Actually, i've seen it happen a lot in my 31.XX fortresses, and i sort of assumed it was just the new way skill and quality levels interacted after 40d. Mind you, this is anedoctal evidence, but i noticed them starting slowly, especially if they were very rusty in their craft, making a few low quality items, to end up churning again only exceptional and masterwork stuff. It seemed to me they need to warm up, somehow.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 01:17:56 pm »

Oh yeah, there's skill rust too.

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 01:49:54 pm »

There also seems to be an impact from finishing a job while hungry, thirsty etc... I'm using a carpenter, a gem setter, a blacksmith and a metalcrafter - all legendary +5 - to build a complete furniture set for my fort right now, but every now and then a +Door+ or *Bed*  turns up when they're working with debuffs.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 03:38:35 pm »

Yeah, that's wierd. I am usually getting nothing but masterwork by the time they get to Legendary...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Carrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 03:41:22 pm »

I get all sorts at legendary, but am far more likely to get better quality goods. At just legendary masterworks seem to result about 50% of the time.

I just had a strange mood weaponsmith, yay, fey mood, masterwork steel mace and legendary weaponsmith as a result, and five minutes later he somehow gets outside and is killed by a goblin ambush :( Looks like it's time to get someone churning out vast piles of iron bolts.