Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A bunch of Military questions  (Read 847 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
A bunch of Military questions
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:42:33 pm »

I have a few questions about the military system in DF.

I've got it pretty much figured out, but the training is really confusing.

First of all, marksdwarves. I used to be able to get them to train fine. I could usually get legendary dwarves before my first siege. I had 5 archery targets, all designated on their own, with channels to preserve the arrows. I recently updated to the latest version and then the issues started. My dwarves that have metal bolts won't drop them and pick up wooden ones, but if I tell them to train with metal bolts, they waste my precious steel. However, new dwarves to the squad will pick up wooden bolts and fire away, happily leveling while their masters sit in their rooms, with their status as 'Soldier (Cannot follow order)'.

Second, melee dwarves. I can't get them to train weapon skills. They train dodging, wrestling etc alright, but no matter what weapon I assign them, they seem to completely forget about it and go for a sucker-punch instead.

I was also wondering what the purpose of Training weapons are. I assume it's a weapon they use during training sessions so they don't lop eachothers heads off practicing their side-swings, but my dwarves never seen to use them either.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A bunch of Military questions
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:45:57 pm »

I have a few questions about the military system in DF.

I've got it pretty much figured out, but the training is really confusing.

First of all, marksdwarves. I used to be able to get them to train fine. I could usually get legendary dwarves before my first siege. I had 5 archery targets, all designated on their own, with channels to preserve the arrows. I recently updated to the latest version and then the issues started. My dwarves that have metal bolts won't drop them and pick up wooden ones, but if I tell them to train with metal bolts, they waste my precious steel. However, new dwarves to the squad will pick up wooden bolts and fire away, happily leveling while their masters sit in their rooms, with their status as 'Soldier (Cannot follow order)'.

Second, melee dwarves. I can't get them to train weapon skills. They train dodging, wrestling etc alright, but no matter what weapon I assign them, they seem to completely forget about it and go for a sucker-punch instead.

I was also wondering what the purpose of Training weapons are. I assume it's a weapon they use during training sessions so they don't lop eachothers heads off practicing their side-swings, but my dwarves never seen to use them either.

Possible answer to training weapons : Sparring was once pretty violent. Dwarves would often gore themselves while training. I think Toady implemented training weapons to prevent that. After that probably came the "safe sparring" we have now.

They can also be used to violently bludgeon prisoners for exp.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:48:07 pm »

-Dump your marksdwarves' metal bolts.

-Danger rooms.

-Justice, danger rooms (training spears), woodcutting (training axes), and arena combat. They were originally used, as Qc Storm said, for non-lethal training.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:18 am »

If for whatever reason you haven't made enough "real" weapons to equip your troops you can still do training by giving them training (axe|spear|sword)s.  I know training axes (used to be able to?) cut down trees, but I don't think any of the weapons do much in actual combat.  My six training spear equipped noobs (in .22) provided bruising and knock downs (but not knock-back) of the two goblin thieves and allowed the two dwarves with iron spears time to wake up and decide they wanted to join the fun.

When everybody sucks with the weapon they are training with they seem to use wrestling attacks more often.  After six to nine months of continuous sparring, however, I had two level 5 spear dwarves without using a danger room.  With a metal spear (even iron or copper) they quickly take down non-metal armoured opponents at that skill.  If they only are at level 2 or 3 it takes about twice as long to do the same damage, giving more opportunity to the ambusher of course.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:31:42 am »

Dwarves will use training weapons if you tell them too (uniform). If you don't, they won't use them