Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Zone - Bathing  (Read 4290 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: New Zone - Bathing
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 09:06:47 pm »

A simple bathing zone would work wonders. I'm all for it.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 10:25:36 pm »

Ladies, Gentledwarves... let's not get ahead of ourselves.  While it is very Dwarfy to imagine all the amazing things we could do, let's stick to the basics here on what is needed to keep our wells and fishing ponds free of blood and vomit.

1) Bathing Zone.  Dwarves bathe here, if it exists, if they can possibly path to it.  Requires access to a dry floor next to a tile of water, any depth.
2) Happy points if it's flowing water.  So it stays cleaner.  You get bonus points if theres a mist shower involved somewhere, but not from this.... that's just because it's mist.
3) Stockpiles: Soap, Cloth (for towels).
4) Washing objects: Dwarves should wash objects, like clothes or bloody hammers, if they own them and they're dirty enough for the dwarf to care.  Might be incidental from the dwarf bathing and wearing/carrying the objects.

Remember, an idea is perfect, not when there is nothing left to add, but nothing left to take away.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 11:08:59 pm »

I like this idea. Another thing you can do is make it like the swimming pool in the genesis mod. A building you can simply fill with water and make dwarfs swim in.
Critical hit! It's super effective!

"You scratch the Giant Tiger in the Upper Body, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false rib and tearing apart the heart! An artery has been opened by the attack! A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack! A tendon in the false right rib has been torn!"

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 11:29:17 pm »

Ladies, Gentledwarves... let's not get ahead of ourselves.  While it is very Dwarfy to imagine all the amazing things we could do, let's stick to the basics here on what is needed to keep our wells and fishing ponds free of blood and vomit.

1) Bathing Zone.  Dwarves bathe here, if it exists, if they can possibly path to it.  Requires access to a dry floor next to a tile of water, any depth.
2) Happy points if it's flowing water.  So it stays cleaner.  You get bonus points if theres a mist shower involved somewhere, but not from this.... that's just because it's mist.
3) Stockpiles: Soap, Cloth (for towels).
4) Washing objects: Dwarves should wash objects, like clothes or bloody hammers, if they own them and they're dirty enough for the dwarf to care.  Might be incidental from the dwarf bathing and wearing/carrying the objects.

Remember, an idea is perfect, not when there is nothing left to add, but nothing left to take away.

Just need two tiles, good. Not flowing water, but clean. Implies some method of replacement or purifying. Drop the bit about mist, it adds nothing. Claims soap and cloth for use, good. Drop washing objects; this is bathing, not laundry.

So, more perfect:
  • Bathing zone needs open space over with water and one dry floor next to it to function.
  • Happy thoughts from using clean water.
  • Stockpiles soap and cloth for use by bathers.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 04:15:53 am »

Replacement of the water would be the easiest thing to code in.  Or rather, NOT code in.  Just build a way for the water to drain, left up to the player and outside of the zone's actual functioning.  There need not be code to check for clean water, drainage, or anything else... just the water, the flat area, and a clear way to move between those points without leaving the Bathing Zone.

The code for unhappy thoughts from DRINKING unclean water would suffice nicely to test if the water is clean enough to bathe in, and it's already in the game.  Soapy water is okay since it's not tracked anyways.  Blood/Vomit means someone nasty just bathed there and the water is unclean... Urist McBather has an unhappy thought.  Should he cancel bathing: interrupted by nasty bathwater?

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 04:47:36 am »

I like this idea. Another thing you can do is make it like the swimming pool in the genesis mod. A building you can simply fill with water and make dwarfs swim in.

I never played the mod, so there are good possibilities that I'm wrong.
I think that DF buildings should be as much freeform as possible. To me, zones/rooms and furniture are perfect, premade buildings not as much, they standardize the experiance and the design of the fort.

Blood/Vomit means someone nasty just bathed there and the water is unclean... Urist McBather has an unhappy thought.  Should he cancel bathing: interrupted by nasty bathwater?

Mmh...

Maybe he should check first if there is another pool available in the bathouse.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:51:00 am by Lord Vetinari »

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 05:19:32 am »

I have thought of an invention! (which I probably will never make)

Water flows from the nearby river which has been redirected into a clean, covered smooth block tunnel, goes down the tunnel above the steam houses, spreads out in multiple directions so the water is mostly 2/7, falls down into the bathing area, down the grates, into the lava beneath the grates, and steam comes up.
If the water fell down one small chute, and the steam spreaded out, there would be no cold water cooling down the dwarves in there, only lovely boiling hot steam to make them feel lovely and melting.

And dwarves could enjoy this if I marked the area as a bathing area, without talking fully clothed dwarves getting all sweaty while all the other dwarves were there shuffling around arkwardly with towels around them.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:21:08 am by Jacos »
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 10:38:47 am »

You just get obsidian, which stops drainage, and then you get a flood.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 02:18:05 pm »

Jeoshua nailed it. The only thing I would change on his update of this suggestion is that the bathhouse stockpile should contain buckets in addition to soap and cloth.

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 04:16:28 pm »

It would be interesting if you could construct wood or metal tubs which could be built and subsequently designated for laundry or bathing. A dwarf would bring a bucket of water to the tub and bath or wash stuff. The water would always be clean if the tub was emptied with the bucket after use (maybe requiring someone with the cleaning labour enabled to clean it afterword). Though perhaps dwarves would prefere bath houses.

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 04:18:40 pm »

z
Replacement of the water would be the easiest thing to code in.  Or rather, NOT code in.  Just build a way for the water to drain, left up to the player and outside of the zone's actual functioning.

Right. That's what I was saying. The game only checks for clean water, not for flowing or even a hypothetical purifying method. Whatever the player comes up with, if it results in clean water in the bath zone, is fine.

Jeoshua nailed it. The only thing I would change on his update of this suggestion is that the bathhouse stockpile should contain buckets in addition to soap and cloth.

Bath zone:
  • Open space over water and one dry floor next to it to function.
  • Happy thoughts from using clean water.
  • Stockpiles soap, cloth and buckets for use by bathers.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

radkid1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 04:59:05 pm »

Dwarf shiter to dwarfs need shit to

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 06:17:10 pm »

Ignore the fecal matter.  Yes... there is B_FILTH as a tag in the game, so yes, poopies do exist.  This is not about poopies, radkid.  This is about clean and happy dwarves in a simplified way, so that we can create vast and dwarfy mechanisms on top of a simple framework that Toady could code into the game less than a weekend.

There are other threads for those suggestions.

Although.... B_FILTH wouldn't be a bad tag for dirty water.  It's unused, it's in there, it could be "(S)earch/(R)eplaced easily enough in the source code to be a non-issue for changing it.  But there is actually already an unused tag, which could be simply set on the tiles of water used when bathing.  1 dwarf bathing could add the new... let's call it GREY_WATER tag to 1/7 depth piece of the water.

Okay as anoying as derailment is, I think that radkid1 tripped my brain into something very nice here, so don't hate on him too much.

Bathing uses 1 depth (what's the term here?) of water, flagging it with something.  If there is no unflagged water in the bath zone, it fails.  Urist McBather cancels bathing: No clean water.  Beauty part is: all the other contaminants in the water that could possibly be in there (BLOOD, VOMIT, B_FILTH, Y_FILTH, GOO, MUD, etc) would be checked along with it.  It's not "is this? yes/no... is that? yes/no... etc... ok", but rather "is there anything at all? yes/no... ok"

So all this would end up working beautifully in whatever situation you can consider without any changes to the framework to the game.

And actually... it's possible we're all overthinking this, too.  Couldn't the dwarf just... jump in the water and climb back out, thereby removing contaminants? Just slap on a sort of "Reaction" to use up a unit of soap in the process?

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 05:49:26 pm »

I think this idea is great and, provided it wouldn't require tons of code rewriting goodness, it would make cleaning dorfs much better, faster and less headache inducing  ;D.

#+1post #bump
Pages: 1 [2]